Roof Bars for A4 Saloon (B6)

Mikebabs1

Reaction score
Has anyone got these? Any recommendations as which ones to get, and where from?

I've done a little search around this site, and found a recommendation for the Thule 750 Rapid fit system, is this good? I've seen them on a couple of A4's and I quite like them, I don't really think they even spoil the look of the car too much.

Any other recommendations of bars and/or suppliers?

Do they mark the paintwork at all?

Cheers

Mike

I went for the Thule several weeks ago. They pretty much seem to be the market leaders. They don't appear to have scratched my paintwork, but my mate reckon's his A3 picked up a couple of very light scratchs- nothing that wouldn't polish out. I use mine for up to three surfboards and mountain bikes. Here's a piccy taken a couple of weeks ago:
Packingupatcampsite.jpg

I looked everywhere for them, and they seemed to be over £125 inc. del., I managed to get them for £100 inc. delivery and free locks (£15 alone). Here's the link:

http://www.skidrive.co.uk/bars/selector3.php?idx=40

got them within a couple of days using standard delivery. Service was excellent. Note- there are two different bars, the standard black square ones, and the nice silver aero bars (the ones I went for). They look better and apparently are more aerodynamic.

By the way, taking them on and off is very simple. The black end caps pop out an inch and become "winders" where you can loosen them off to remove of tighten them to fit. I keep them in the boot of the car now.

T.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Thats really helpful, thanks mate. I'm definitely going to go for some of those then. The aero ones do look better. I read somewhere that some of the Thule roof boxes do not fit directly onto the aero bars though, and you have to buy adapters, do you know anything about this?

Mine will be used for fishing rods mainly, rather than surf boards (not quite as cool I know!). What do you use for securing your boards to the bars, just standard bungee ropes? Are they held secure at motorway speeds? What do you do about leaving them when you park (like at service stations on long journeys), do you have a method of preventing them getting nicked off the roof?

Thanks for your help!

Mike

not sure about being able to fit roofboxes. I can't imagine you'd have that much of a problem, the Aerobars seem to be the most popular bars.

I wouldn't want to trust bungees to secure my surfboards- at motorway speeds (~85mph) I'd be having nightmares about the boards flipping off! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I use webbing straps which are like nylon belts with a heavy duty metal spring fastener on the end. I picked 'em up from Halfords- the Thule ones were about £16, whereas identical Halfords ones were £6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As for security- the bars I bought came with locks- the surfboards I just have to chance it that no ones gonna nick em. I guess not everyone's got a car big enough to smuggle my surfboards!

try indespension in Northampton, they were by far the cheapest when i bought my Thule set up a year ago. he even helped me fit them!