I've had a crash, gutted.

Harribo66

Reaction score
Unfortunately I had a crash on Tuesday! Quite bad frontal damage, what do people think about it been repairable?
Heres some pics...

18dd7ea2.jpg

f7663e21.jpg

aadd8e37.jpg

4d24013a.jpg

Im absolutely gutted, but the main thing is me and the mrs are ok. Just very sore.

Does anyone know if I will need a new dash because of the airbag?

Thanks, Josh

Sorry to read about your crash, glad you and the Mrs are ok. Im sure the boys will help you out with advice on repairs. Have a look in the classifieds section for parts available, use the search function or you will be there all day. :) x

Gutted for you mate.
At least you're both ok.

Hows the engine?
Is that ok?

two lights, bonnet, grill, slam panel, radiator, AC rad, fans, air bags and a clean.

The bumper looks ok, any cracks?
Hows the wings?

Good excuse to give the front a bit of a update as well :)

Last edited:
Gutted for you mate.
At least you're both ok.

Hows the engine?
Is that ok?

two lights, bonnet, grill, slam panel, radiator, AC rad, rans, air bags and a clean.

The bumper looks ok, any cracks?
Hows the wings?

Good excuse to give the front a bit of a update as well :)

Yeah that's the main,

Engine looks ok but I think it has been pushed back a little bit. Gear leaver is stiff, I haven't really checked it 100%

Bumper looks ok it's just got a few carvings missing on it on the driver side. Wings look ok just got slight marks where the lights have pushed into them.

Haha, I was thinking, b7 front? ;)

Josh

Thanks Scott really appreciate that,

the bumper bar looks ok because of me breaking hard and the front end dipping down.

Josh

Yeah that's the main,

Engine looks ok but I think it has been pushed back a little bit. Gear leaver is stiff, I haven't really checked it 100%

Bumper looks ok it's just got a few carvings missing on it on the driver side. Wings look ok just got slight marks where the lights have pushed into them.

Haha, I was thinking, b7 front? ;)

Josh

I would strip the front end, remove all damage parts, covers and check for splits, cracks and damage on legs, mounts and any thing else.

It might be worse than what it looks if the engine shifted or just engine mounts have broke.

It might be worse than what it looks if the engine shifted or just engine mounts have broke.
To be fair can it look any worse Scott ?
Gutted for you but as said you's are okay so that's the main thing,the car can be replaced.

if you go through insurance they will prob write it off
but that looks an easy repair with SH parts

Someone has abandoned their car in the left hand lane (2 lanes). 4x4 on my left cut me up so I had to swerve taking my path of vision away. And 2 cars in my lane had stopped dead at a green light because they had been cut up aswell. So very annoyed, but becaus ei was in the ambulance the two people (cars) who caused it had ****** off :(.

Pathetic police are trying to charge me for it as well, because 'apparently' the cameras wasn't pointing the right way.and I was driving without due care and attention.

I can't go through the insurance because I'm only 3rd party because I had to transfer it from my previous cars insurance, (trying to get another years no claims). - crap, I know.

Just been looking further and looks like one engine mount has sheared and another (front) has popped out. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers guys,

Josh

Jeez, that looked sore!

Hope you and passengers are OK!

Just a random thought - why is it every crashed Audi I see has the wipers in the service position?

Trust me you have to prepare for the headache that will come to you now as the insurance will see it as black and white and try pinning it on you regardless as you got front end damage. Especially when other drivers cause the situation to take place. To make matters worst camera was facing elsewhere.

Its a right off. Bear in mind the airbag system (Front belts. pass and drivers bag + new airbag ECU) is circa 1700 in parts (at main dealer prices which is what will be used) Then there's the outside..

Your best bet is to strip it, hire a engine hoist from HSS and remove that onto a pallet, strip it all down to the head and block (standard way to sell) and turbo all ancillary extra (ebay the lot). Then there's a pretty tidy S line interior, ECU, dash, you will be amazed at how much you can make.. The list goes on.. Then get around 140 a ton scrap for whatever is left (hopefully they can collect..)

Its a right off. Bear in mind the airbag system (Front belts. pass and drivers bag + new airbag ECU) is circa 1700 in parts (at main dealer prices which is what will be used) Then there's the outside..

Why would you need to replace the Air Bag ECU if you the air bags went off?

Why would you need to replace the Air Bag ECU if you the air bags went off?

Because in an impact the Airbag ECU generates code which blocks the ECU from operating normally. You need to replace it. The 'crash lock' / codes cannot be cleared out by conventional methods like VCDS.

and you could repair it with good value 2nd hand parts and skip doing the bags, but it would fail mot with the light on!!!!

I could sell you an airbag kit for this car (at a snip 2nd hand) but i dont advise going down the route of repairing it as it will cost you a fortune.. Dont even bother.. I can see the O/S chassis leg is bent, what else you may ask. I can say from experience repairing a car with far less front end damage (i hit a tree at low speed..) that it doesn't drive perfectly straight and eats tyres strangely ( i did the tracking etc but the chassis / top mounts or something on one side are obv a fraction out of shape causing a neg camber and a very slight pull) just as everything is a little bit bent and you will find it very hard checking / fixing these things..

Last edited:
Unlucky mate.

Mine has less damage on it (from previous owner) and was written off. Cat D.

sorry to hear about this & hope all of you are ok, well it looks bad but i would not repair it sorry to say as folks have pointed out it might be worse then it looks... if that is poss.

Thats really bad luck mate.

If you do decide to repair I will shortly have:

Bonnet
Front Bumper
N/S wing
headlights

Looking for a new home for the right price.

They aren't in perfect condition but nothing major with them and looks like they might be the same colour

You'd be better off picking up a A4 with rear end damage.

Glad you and the Mrs are safe and sound.

First thing is that glad to hear that you and the missus are both OK, cars can be replaced.....

Don't think this is repairable, the airbags only activate above a deceleration rate of 5G, so this has been a major shunt, the engine has definitely moved and if the force has sheared the mounts, chances are the chassis legs are bent, you then have the issue of what you cannot see, if engine has moved, so has gearbox/exhaust so they may be damaged, suspension will be out of line, steering rack damaged? etc etc.....

You then have the issues of replacing airbags/control units and getting things like the fuel cut-off to worry about. From a personal perspective I wouldn't buy things like airbags second hand/off e-bay, if you have another shunt would you trust them to work correctly....

Break it for parts, get a chunk of money back that way and buy another.....

Just my own opinion, others will look at it differently....

thats a write off and not really worth bothering repairing yourself. you'll never get it back to how it was.

*edit* theres nothing wrong with second hand airbag parts.

Last edited:
glad to hear you are both ok but airbags going off = game over i would have thought

the insurance would defo write it off for the value to repair against the value of the car m8... glad your ok and not to hurt.. but the metal can be replaced m8 two options are break it and make some money back think you will be surprised how much you will make back in parts...or if your handy with the tools then strip it down more around the front end and inspect a little further to see if there is any hidden major damage that will stop you in your tracks...... if your handy it will most likely be a doddle of a job and just your time and effort you would be wasting !! when you look at the wings they dont look out of place which to me is a good sign obviously without a better inspection it's hard to say but if not great with the spanners then its best to let it go, as the cost of parts to repair will set you back...

Tricky one..... interested to know how one of the posters can see a bent chassis leg ??? what year and model is it ??? i don't see any Quattro badges , saloon , Avant ??.... it's the sort of car that if an insurance company passed it on as a damaged repairable maybe some garage would pick it up cheap and then mend it with second hand parts , flog it on and make a profit.... are you handy with spanners and have a bit of space ?? if it was me i would part it out on ebay then adding the money i would have to spend on mending it buy a new car.... but i'm ok with spanners , have a garage and the wife's car...... gutted for ya pal watch the vultures swarm on the sline gear though if you part it :)

Hi all thanks for all the feedback, I know, main thing is that we are both ok, even though it's my pride and joy.

I am taking it to a garage tomorrow, just so they can have an examination ofthe engine. Wings are ok just slight nicks in paint. I am supprised how even the impact was across the front, damage is very equal at both sides.

Ill keep my fingers crossed and By the looks of it I have a huge project on my hands.

Ill keep everyone updated.

Thanks again for all the advice and support.

Josh

Last edited:
I, pretty handy with spanners (I'm a mechanical engineer) I do have my brothers double garage I can use, but then again I don't have a huge amount of time.

i know it's against everyone's opinion but I think I'll have a go at this one, After all, i cant lose much more then I already have.

I am very gutted but life has bad times and looks like this was one of mine! :(.

Like I said I'll keep everyone posted.

Cheers,

Josh

Last edited:
I, pretty handy with spanners (I'm a mechanical engineer) I do have my brothers double garage I can use, but then again I don't have a huge amount of time.

i know it's against everyone's opinion but I think I'll have a go at this one, After all, i cant lose much more then I already have.

I am very gutted but life has bad times and looks like this was one of mine! :(.

Like I said I'll keep everyone posted.

Cheers,

Josh

glad you and yours are ok, Mate, i've fixed passats that have been in worse states than that, id say, once you have all the busted bits off, you will be able to see what your up against, you can strip that down in a day and pit it back together in the same time,

I've got a passenger side airbag, an engine mount and set of belt tentioners for your car sat in a box here, let me know if you want it, also may the air bag control moduel,

Could end up being a money pit if there's any structural damage: perhaps try to pick up a bargain B6 (1.9TDI quattro / 3.0 petrol if your mileage is low), but find one with a naff interior/trim that's priced lwoer... and then swap over the nice bits?

It could be perfectly structurally sound, but just require a bit of work (hitting a stationary car is NOT the same as hitting a tree), but from an insurance company perspective (if you had been fully comp): it would have been Cat D'd immediately, but that's just 'cos with the age of our cars all it needs is airbags + minor cosmetic damage and the bill would be >80% of the replacement value of the car once you look at replacing OEM parts at a dealers.