Calling all Avant owners, polishing the roof rails

duffy78

Reaction score
What do you use to keep the roof rails spick, span and shiney?

I've always had good results with Auto-Glym Super Resin Polish.

WD-40. Very quick & easy but not a long term solution, needs to be applied after each & every car wash :icon_thumright:

What I've found that works realyl well (and gets rid of the "milky"ness) 2 or 3 coats of Autobrite cherry glaze followed by G-techniq C5 to seal.

I popped some poorboys natty paste on the A6 rails the other day. Seemed to clean them up abit.

I used autosol when i got my car but needs redone now after a few months.

Pretty sure they are laquer'd (hence why you get the milky effect) so autosol is a waste of time.

That will be why they don't come up completely clean then. Has anyone removed them and stripped the lacquer off then?

I use a bit of Meguiars NXT metal polish brought them up better than they were as mine got stained when I cleaned my car with APC.

Well autoglym super resin is top notch for the roof rails. Followed up with autoglym extra gloss protection and they look great.

Going to do the touran tomorrow night as well.

I've always found it very good, and it lasts.

The EGP is fantastic stuff on my dolphin grey paint, the shine is incredible! My only criticism is the longevity.

First time I've used it last night and it started drizzling before I got it all polished off!

So car has some smearing at the minute. It was the last step all the cleaning of the body work since I bought the car three months ago.

I've done the stone chips, have wet sanded the worst of the scratches them polished the sanding marks out. Clayed the bodywork twice, one full coat of autoglym paint restorer, three coats of autoglym super resin then the top coat of extra gloss protection. The car is fairly glowing even with the slight smearing.

All the above was done over the last few weeks. Last night was just two coats super resin with the extra gloss added last.

I have the same problem and took advice from a detailing fanatic i know, he advised Poorboys SSR3, so bought some and so far so good.