Speedo driving me mad!

Super_stylin

Reaction score
Got a 2001 1.8t Quattro. Seems to be when it's warm outside and dry my speedo and fuel gauge stop working. The speedo stays on zero and the gauge goes down when accelerating. It's rained today and gone cold, guess what speedo has come back on working fine! Any help would be great!

Could be an electrical connection inside somewhere, my central locking is funny when its hot outside, it will unlock the rear doors twice, and then try again when you turn the ignition on!! If its cool its fine...

Could be the heat affecting the pod internals?, have you managed to scan the instrument cluster? might be worth doing first

Not scanned no; it's just strange that heat and wet weather can effect it that's why I thought something underneath the car.

Mk1 Skoda Octavia's suffer the same problem that you describe, & it's usually caused by dry solder joints on the 2 voltage regulators in the dash. It's quite possible you have the same problem as the Audi dash is very similar. Sometimes reseating the dash connectors can fix the problem too, but most of the time it's a dry joint.

I was thinking dry joint also, the rain will be acting as a heat sink. So ambient will drop allowing the car to contract slightly including all the plastics and so forth. opposite with the heat, allowing the dry joint to fail. Could be worth speaking with an auto sparky, might be able to replace it for you but I'd be you'd be looking at around 150ish smackers.