audi a4 2004 tdi 115 bke engine head gasket?????

Lambster

Reaction score
Hi all
Im having trouble with my parents car at the mo and im having trouble getting to the bottom of it
noticed that coolant had gone from the header tank after plooms of white smoke came from the exhaust, the car was running fine but smoking like dot cotton. After a bit of diagnosis the egr cooler was at fault replaced it and got it running. it was still smoking but no coolant was being lost, took it for a drive and it felt down on power and still smoking
I started it up this morning and no smoke took it out and when it got up to temp would smoke again more so on idle?
I must add the temperature has not risen above normal once

many thanks

If your cat has got contaminted with what was leaking as it sounds like it has it will take some time for that to burn of i would take it for a good run and get it nice and hot that should clear it

It has been for a good run up and down the motorway a couple of junctions and still the same :(
think il be taking it to the garage for diagnosis next week

Is it white smoke or a hint of blue? Could it be burning oil?

It not getting up to temp is probably a different problem it will be the stat or temp sensor more then likely

It's white smoke that's pouring out of the back it smells like burning coolant
the car gets up to temp and doesn't overheat and it's not losing coolant as far as I can see
we have also changed the thermostat :( it's weird

Sorry read it wrong thought you said the temp wasn't reading normal!

if a lot of it got into the system that will take a fair while to burn off

Il have to take it for another good run in the morning see if it clears up
the heaters don't seem to be staying warm too ???

If the heaters are not always hot that could be a sign there is an airlock it may be worth giving the coolant system another good bleed and do so with heater set to hot

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Gonna give it another coat of looking at at my mates garage tomorrow il see how we go on:)

Gave the car a good run this morning and the smoke has cleared now
been to the local garage and has been diagnosed with a dodgy water pump
so it's staying there to have cambelt water pump and full service
all should be well we hope
thanks to all for your help

Cheers

Glad you got is sorted I knew it would clear in the end had several vehicles in the garage that have had to do the same till they clear

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

It's now at my mates garage and had a full service cambelt water pump thermostat and now it needs a heater matrix as its blocked solid with cack :)
the repair bill keeps climbing lol