TANDEM PUMP CHANGED

tommytonguedj

Reaction score
Well fitted the new tandem pump today old one was proper goosed the vacuum nipple was wobbly with oil coming out of it as well as leaking diesel from other parts it was the original one ending in letter A with rubber gaskets got a brand new original vag one for £130 delivered with metal type gasket. Removal & fitting was'nt as bad as some people make out, Just the bottom bolt is a bit of a pig due to tightness and i'll be needing to replace the coolant pipe underneath the pump soon as it has swelled right up. Got allard egr delete kit ready with silicone hose and inlet manifold is nearly spotless just a couple of more jetwashes and pick manifold gasket up tomorrow and put everything back on.

What made you change the tandem pump? What symptoms or poor performance did you have? Was it an easy job?

Easy job mate just patience really with bottom bolt and allen key and alligning it as it's a back strainer. Symptoms My brake pedal went all the way down slowly which is cured(the vacuum nipple was wobbly i could turn it and had oil leaking from it), I had a slight coolant leak from the pipe under pump through diesel leak don't know how as it's meant to be a venting pipe(i think) it has swelled several times it's normal size( got the new one waiting for weather to change so can do a coolant flush) Also if you wipe your hand under the tandem pump if it's leaking you'll have diesel on it.
Search about if yours is going as i got a brand new one for £130 delivered ended in letter E off a skoda centre with metal gasket but does'nt show up as fitting 1.9 tdi but did. Happy to lend a hand if your not too far away if it does need doing
DSCF2107.jpg

Thanks for your response and generous offer, my car is currently being diagnosed by a bosch dealer but I think tandem pump is less likely to be the culprit. It's interesting to read all the engine issues on this forum and the struggle people have in finding out the root cause of issues using main dealers. These engines seem more fragile/quirky than any other car ive had, including Porsche and mustang lol

it's at the back of the engine(awx anyway) under the plastic charge pipe, When the weather changes i'll do a side by side of the new coolant hose and the swelled one.

We had the same nipple problem on our A6. I managed to seal it back up though.