Aircon threads: Let them begin

s3tby

Reaction score
I'm not sure my aircon is blowing as cold as it should.
Driving along at 70mph yesterday for a few hours, outside temp at 28 I had to have the climate control on at LO to keep close to comfortable, me and my passenger.

Two things make me think it needs regassing;

i.) The drivers side steering wheel vent was blowing warm-ish. Centre console vents were cold(er)
ii.) We stopped for 5 minutes to fill up with petrol. When I started the car again the passenger side air vent spat out a load of ice

Does anybody know if these are symptoms of a regass? The car is a B6 S-Line, 04 plate and to my knowledge its never been done.

Ste is correct. Basically the receiver drier is full for want of a better word. It isn't removing moisture from the system, this moisture then freezes at the opening of the expansion valve and blocks the system and it feels warm. Remedy is to have the system de-gassed, fit a new receiver/drier and then vacuum down for 1 hour (don't let any garage tell you that 5 or 10 minutes is enough0, then re-gas. Et-Voala; freezing cold air-con. Best of luck

Thanks for the replies.

Is the dryer behind the glovebox? It looks like its also worth replacing the restrictor valve (which can be become clogged). Looks to me like that's down by the airbox toward the cabin, just down from the AC line.

Dryer
Part: 8E0 820 193 C
Cost: £40ish

Restrictor Valve
Part: 8E0 820 177
Cost: £8ish

I re gassed mine today and found someone had fitted the pressure sensor in the pipe the wrong way around making it blow hot air

Nice and cold now

Had mine regassed on wednesday, sat in it last night it was 18c in the car. Started engine and set it to LO and measured the vent air temp blowing out ...7c woohoo... Cold as a penguins nuts.