Chris NottSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

Aircon threads: Let them begin

I'm not sure my aircon is blowing as cold as it should.
    Driving along at 70mph yesterday for a few hours, outside temp at 28 I had to have the climate control on at LO to keep close to comfortable, me and my passenger.

Two things make me think it needs regassing;

i.) The drivers side steering wheel vent was blowing warm-ish. Centre console vents were cold(er)
    ii.) We stopped for 5 minutes to fill up with petrol. When I started the car again the passenger side air vent spat out a load of ice

Does anybody know if these are symptoms of a regass? The car is a B6 S-Line, 04 plate and to my knowledge its never been done.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    ice... sounds like the dryer isn't working, or the drain is blocked!
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

5th Gear

Status
    Ste is correct. Basically the receiver drier is full for want of a better word. It isn't removing moisture from the system, this moisture then freezes at the opening of the expansion valve and blocks the system and it feels warm. Remedy is to have the system de-gassed, fit a new receiver/drier and then vacuum down for 1 hour (don't let any garage tell you that 5 or 10 minutes is enough0, then re-gas. Et-Voala; freezing cold air-con. Best of luck
    2012 RNSe Navigation Discs with unit software update. PM me.

Suzuki GSX-R 750 K5

A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the replies.

Is the dryer behind the glovebox? It looks like its also worth replacing the restrictor valve (which can be become clogged). Looks to me like that's down by the airbox toward the cabin, just down from the AC line.

Dryer
    Part: 8E0 820 193 C
    Cost: £40ish

Restrictor Valve
    Part: 8E0 820 177
    Cost: £8ish

Top Gear

Status
    I re gassed mine today and found someone had fitted the pressure sensor in the pipe the wrong way around making it blow hot air

Nice and cold now
    Audi A4 1.8T S-Line Quattro (190) '04

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

3rd Gear

Status
    Had mine regassed on wednesday, sat in it last night it was 18c in the car. Started engine and set it to LO and measured the vent air temp blowing out ...7c woohoo... Cold as a penguins nuts.
    2003 A4 Cab 2.4 V6 Manual / 43k miles genuine woohoo (on a 10 year old car lol) / Ebony Black Metallic / Full Grey Leather / Fully Electric Seats / Heated Seats / Interior Light Pack / Cruise / Wood / Bose Symphony II / Black roof