The first of many air con threads... I'm stumped.

benjie

Reaction score
Swindon - home of the 'Magic' Roundabout.
Have had a quick search and can't find anything that helps.

My air con is playing up. Set at 21 today (26 degrees) and it went on full, then...

Windscreen vent - ice cold
Driver's vent (near headlight switch) - cool
Central vent - Ambient

Whatever setting I used (feet, top only, top and face etc) the temp stayed the same out of the vents.

Then I set it to LO - no change.

Then I set it back to 21... Lo and behold, the central/driver's vent then cooled down and became ice cold and it went on as normal.

That's weird and I don't understand it.

ECON light is not on, was re-gassed last August and no faults are showing in VCDS.

Any ideas anyone?

A stuck flap motor could be causing the fault.
You can check their operation by dropping the glovebox and watching the flap arms move..

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll align my flaps (ooh eer) in Basic Settings tomorrow and maybe have a look at the output tests, then if that doesn't resolve it, I'll have the glovebox off at the weekend and see what's going on... My friend owns a B7 so I'll see if I can take that apart and compare the 2 in operation to see if mine's not doing something it should!

Aligned the flaps via Basic Settings and gone through the output tests (all appeared normal) and it's still happening. Coding is all correct.

I did notice that today, if I pressed the middle vents only button, the central vent eventually (after 2-3min) got cold. Then when I pressed AUTO, it stayed cold. So I'm thinking the central vent motor is on its way out?

You Could have a flap arm come loose.
I would remove the glovebox and check the arms and their movement