MRC Remap - Tested at Star Performance

simon_golf_tt

Reaction score
Just had my MRC remap tested at Star Performance in Fife.

As always excellent service from Jim at Star /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

MRC are friends of mine so the obvious choice for me when it comes to a remap. I should say that Star offer their own remaps and MRC are a separate business.

Got to say I was very happy with the results. My car is the 150bhp B6 1.8T Avant Quattro. This engine is limited by it's injectors and the normal power to expect is 195-200 and 220 lbs/ft. Fitting TT 225 injectors will get you up to the 215bhp level but I don't want that expense at the moment.

So the figures I got were:

201.5bhp @ 5900 rpm
240lbs/ft @ 3420 rpm

Star's Maha rollers are highly regarded, so should be fairly accurate.

Car is transformed from standard and pulls so much better. It's not a rapid car but it's certainly no slouch.

Thanks MRC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

Anyone with a B6 150bhp 1.8T with remap to compare figures?

That's good news Simon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

I got my Dual System box back from Jim @ Star this week ! !

WOW! What a lovely Smoooooooth Re-Map. Car feels so much better now - Better low down pull - Chrisper throttle reposnse - AND the pull from 3000rpm right up to the redline is Fantastic. Light use economy is also better too!

I've got a Oettinger Alloy Intake on mine to which I'm sure helps with the top end pull. (i'm led to believe the standard rubber intake collapses when you up the boost)

I'm off to see Jim on the 1st July for a tweak or two and to fit some S3/TT injectors which I've sourced myself ... BOSCH P/No' 0 280 156 063 they're arond £60inc from a Bosch agent.
This should take the Torque up to 250ish lbft and power to 230 bhp but also keep the torque curve flatter longer.

Cant wait to see the car on the rollers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Bub - glad you have had good service from Jim too.

Is Star not a bit far for you to travel?

What did the Oettinger Alloy Intake cost (if you don't mind me asking) and would you recommend it?

I didn't realise the TT/S3 injectors were as cheap as £60! Maybe I will go down that route too then. Thanks for the info.

Your s-line with a remap should do a bit more than my figures - shouldn't it? You'll have the dual intercoolers - is there any other differences?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi . From the first time I called Jim @ Star I realised that he was my sort of bloke - No Bull **** and straight talking. When he realised that I was serious about doing a 1000 mile round trip for a Re-Map ,he found a new customer. The first contact i'd had with other tuners was less than impressive to say the least. The sister-in-law lives in Preston and I'm using her place as a half way house.

The intake was just under £500 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif from RSD. I wasn't too bad to fit but I had to buy a 130' Samco elbow to connect the top breather hose, which didn't impress me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif No instrutions either.

That price is each BTW, sorry if I misled you.Still they're over £100 each from Audi.

Star quote the Re-Map as 220bhp and 235 lbft

Yes the BEX 190ps has twin intercoolers, I'm not too sure about the rest of the spec. I would think it's pretty much the same apart from software.

BUB

Bub - an impressive distance to travel for car tuning for sure!

Your intake is a lot of cash! I looked at your pics on tyresmoke - at least the intake looks expensive, but it still seems a bit steep! I will go with the samco at around 120 and hope that does the trick!

I know the s-line is supposed to do about 220bhp - sounds good.

Injectors at £60 each - I'm not surprised as I thought £60 for the lot sounded to good to be true!!

BTW - nice knee down action on your SP-1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I got the intake in March Samco didn't even list it under development /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Anyway it's on now , thing is with the air duct back on you hardly see the intake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I know the Sportec one from AMD is around the same price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

I'll travel if I know I'm going to get just what I want - I'm a fussy barsteward /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here is what I'm aiming for Simon.

BUB

Looks good Bub - let us know how the injectors work out.

My next mods are s-line front, S4 rear and painted lowers and also have to fit my full milltek and new detachable towbar - that'll keep me busy! Will post up piccies once fitted.

Oh and I need to source some 18" RS4's!

Will go for a Milltek eventually.

I'd Just like to hear one first. My days of loud exhausts on cars are well behind me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Needless to say the SP has a full Leo system and sounds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

Good luck with your mods

The Golf sounds like a monster!

BUB

The Milltek arrived this morning - what a bargain for £200 for a brand new system. I'm hoping it won't be too loud - certainly not boy racer-ish. The downpipe and pipe to the Y split are 2.75 inch diameter - which is pretty good. Next time you're visiting Star, PM me and I'll let you hear it, if hopefully fitted. Star is just 20 miles from me.

Tempted to go akrapovic on my bird in the near future.

The Golf is pretty quick being so light compared to the A4.

[ QUOTE ]
Looks good Bub - let us know how the injectors work out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a look HERE To see result . It turns out the motor seemed to be still quite rich at the top end even in the heat. So I've got some S3 Injectors "in stock" now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BUB

Bub,

237bhp sounds pretty damn good - you must be happy with that. Especially as the ambient temps were so high. I've not fitted my Milltek yet - but it's imminent!

I'm hoping I will fit all my new bits in July.

Simon

[ QUOTE ]
Bub,

237bhp sounds pretty damn good - you must be happy with that. Especially as the ambient temps were so high.

I've not fitted my Milltek yet - but it's imminent!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm well pleased. I would've liked to have seen a bit more torque but I'm sure if as we saw 237bhp then if it was cooler torque would be better. We were struggling with intake temps.....

It was showing 207bhp on the stamdard map!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
So I think the Oettinger intake helped too ( Jim reckoned it might be good for 6-8HP)

Jim gave the map a little tweak at the top end too and the graph looks lovely and smooth.

Jim took delivery of a sexy looking OCT cast alloy intake. I must say it looked very nice and was quite a bit cheaper than my Oettinger one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I might look into a Forge actuator next - To keep boost up at the top end.

Keep us posted about the Milltek!!!!!!!!!!!

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
how much was the OCT intake?

[/ QUOTE ]

Think it was around £350+vat

BUB

do they offer any performance boost or is it purely to stop the pipe colapsing?

do the likes of samco etc do one?