Brake pad warning light

Harribo66

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question, I was driving the other day and nothing wrong, stopped, parked and locked my car.

When I came to my car and started up, this light came on.

audi a4 brake warning light - Google Search

Can anyone help me out. How do I know which brake pads it is or how to stopp the light.

Also I also recently fitted HIDS, around 1 week ago, I haven't had any dash warning lights from them. Could this be an issue.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Josh

Only front pads have wear indicators wired in, doubt it would be anything to do with HID install.....

The best way is to check, the pad wear light isn't that reliable in my experience, but if you check the pads then at least you'll know where you are.

Yeah I'll be taking the wheels off and checking them this weekend, any chance you can turn off the light without changing the pads?

Yes, you can cut the wire and rejoin it and that should turn the light out.

Ahhh I might just change te pads haha. How hard are they to do? :).

Is there a guide anywhere for changing the brake pads?

It may be the pad warning (orange light) or maybe another fault (red light). If you don't know how to replace pads I would advise you take it to someone who does. It's a relatively easy job but you are playing with people's lives if you get it wrong!!

It's the pads, because it's a orange lights.
i have changed pads before but not on this car.

I just wondered if they where a ****** to do.

Cheers,

Easy to change the pads just like any other car really

Pads are fairly easy. Not done mine yet on my A4 myself but if there similar to most VAG stuff all you need is a 7mm allen key and a screwdriver to flick the pad retaining clip off.

anybody know about false alerts on these?

I had mine done (at Audi) 1-2 months ago, probably done just over 1000 miles since then and I've just started getting the brake warning that looks like this: (O)

Brakes are not dragging obviously and seem to pull evening and firmly when I stop.

Any ideas?

Go back to audi that did the work and ask them to check their work

sometimes the connector can come loose
make sure its clean etc

Just to add if you do decide to change the pads, you'll need either a piston wind-back tool (to push the piston back in once you have the old pads off) so that you can fit the new pads on.

If you don't have one of those a medium sized c-clamp will do the trick to push the piston down into the cylinder.

Pads are fairly easy. Not done mine yet on my A4 myself but if there similar to most VAG stuff all you need is a 7mm allen key and a screwdriver to flick the pad retaining clip off.
and a pair of grips to push piston back

Go back to audi that did the work and ask them to check their work

Thanks for the feedback guys, I dropped my car off with Walton Audi on Thurs and picked it up Sat morning - apparently when they had done their work on the pads, discs and hoses, some of the sensor wires had been moved and reseated and due to to combination of age and having been moved, the sensor wires had worn through and were shorting out, hence the alerts.

They don't think anything was done incorrectly, but acknowledged that it was at least related to the the work that they had done, so were happy to replace the worn section of wiring for free.

Two days of driving a brand new B8 S-Line Technik* and sensor errors have been all fixed up, no charge at all not even for the courtesy car... fantastic service again, only complaint is that the courtesy car was a fwd multitronic... quattro S-tronic next time, please guys ;)