The dread flashing oil can, 1.8t 190 quattro

duffy78

Reaction score
There i was tootling along the M62, well not exactly tootling i was certainly doing sum, and the red oil can warning appears on the Dis with oil pressure written there for good measure.

Oh fiddlesticks says I, oil pickup pipe shagged. So I pull of the motorway quick sharp and turn the car off. Bear in mind im still 45 miles from home. Start the car after it's cooled down somewhat and the oil can does not appear, so i tentitively rev it to 2k and still no oil can. I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere so I make the hard decision to drive home. Now I've only had the car 2 months and the plan was always to get the pickup changed as a bit of preventitive maintenance but i had put it off based on the fact that the car had been serviced yearly and over the last 5 years had had the oil changed at 7k intervals. So i used this fact coupled with that I had recently changed the oil and added the larger oil filter within the last 3 weeks as the basis that if i took it easy i would be able to drive home.

So off i set keeping it at or below 2k revs (not easy on a motorway) listening for any sort of unusual engine noise or the oil light coming back on. Luckily got home without any further incident.

So it's going to my local trusted indy tomorrow to get the pick up pipe replaced, I was wondering wether it would be worth getting the oil pump changed at the same time? Or can i assume that the pump is ok?

Does it make any difference that there was no beeping when the oil can appeared? Could it be something else?

£115 + vat from my local Indy to replace pick up and clean sump. Booked in for Monday.

And 180+vat including the oil pump. So getting both done. The car is about to turn over to 100k miles so probably for the best if I get both done.

oil pump with the pick up pipe is very good working practice m8

Yeah I thought the price was good. I think he must be going to attempt it with out removing the sub frame.

Well just picked the A4, the mechanic showed me the pickup and it was clogged up with not much room for any flow. The sump also had plenty of thick gunk in it.

The checked the oil pressure prior to doing the work and it was well within spec so it just goes to show that there's no way to check for this issue without taking the sump off.

Also this car only spent two years on AVS with the rest of the time spent having the oil changed every 7k miles. So the moral of the storey is that if you've got a high mile 1.8t then you need to get this work done ASAP.

It was slightly more than quoted, the bill came in at £182 + vat.

Whilst there I got a quote for a new clutch, £360 for a LUK clutch kit fitted, any good?

Just had the exact same thing on my a3 1.8t, ive left it down the road to cool down. hopefully when i go back to it the light will stay off and give me a chane to change pump and pick up.

Where is this garage Duffy £360 for a clutch fitted is very cheap I have had prices from £500 to £1300 depending on type of clutch etc...

Where is this garage Duffy £360 for a clutch fitted is very cheap I have had prices from £500 to £1300 depending on type of clutch etc...
his price is without DMFW
yours prob is including the dmfw

The garage is in Middlesbrough called Ron Turnbulls, I can highly recommend them And it is only for the clutch, but most places will be unless you specifically ask for DMF.

This will be the 4th car they have looked after for me.

1. MKIV Golf V5 170,
2. MKV Golf GTi,
3. VW Touran 2.0 TDi (still have this one)
4. Audi A4 1.8t 190 Quattro avant.