TDI just hit 160k miles, to celebrate took it on a 3k mile trip!

starnon

Reaction score
Just back from a Euro trip with the 1.9 TDi avant and filing a little report on the audi!

We covered 3k miles in 2 weeks (well more like 3 days driving, the rest of the time the car was barely used). It's just turned 160k miles and still feels tight as a nut (I did have to pray that I done the cambelt change correctly on the day before I left, but all seems well). The only thing about the car that shows its age is the appearance of rust at the front of the wheel arch, so I'll be sorting that out shortly.

We went from Newcastle-Holland-Germany-Poland-Czech Republic and back with our dog, camping equipment, wedding dress, 2x kilt outfits, and a stopover in Germany to buy lots of booze for our wedding. It took it all well and didn't lose much mpg with all the kit (about 47mpg average, including autobahn speeds) although to be fair it's not as spacious as other estates but can't complain especially as we had a bit more space than our previous euro-alpine trip in our MX5 with full camping equipment!

For car spotting, they do love Audi's on the continent and saw tons of them in each country, even more than in the UK. But the only ones of note were a single RS6 and S4 B6.

Sounds like a good trip!

Brave man doing a DIY cambelt change the day before.....

Sounds spot on, there's nothing like a driving holiday - I did the same this time last year with 2 mates
(we went to Holland, Germany, Czech, Italy, Southern France, Northern Spain and back)

Only issue was it was in my old Vectra CDTi which was on 180k at the time - I had purchased it for £1900 at 140K so you can imagine the anxiety! (it did well though)

I really want to do it again this year!

Just remembered a negative point about the trip: my aircon doesn't work (which isn't an issue in Scottish "summer") but in 34C Polish heat, I would have loved some cool air. The aircon in my car is a bit of a puzzle which I'll need to look at soon, when I serviced it I found an odd part lying loose on the engine tray. Turns out that this goes on the aircon pulley and transfers drive from the pulley to the pump, so without it the pulley just spins and the pump stays still. It's like this either because it fell off (somehow??) or the owner perhaps removed it as the pump was making a noise (but why would he leave or drop the aircon part onto the tray?). Needs looked at either way..

sounds like the end of the clutch as come adfrift on your compresor m8...