RNS-E will not read new 2012 discs

jbcalvin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a retro-fitted RNS-E in my car which is currently running a genuine 2010 Audi disc in it.

I have just bought a new genuine 2012 disc and when inserted I just get a message stating disc unreadable? Any suggestions guys coz these new discs weren't cheap :sos:...... the 2010 disc is working perfectly....

Take it back to Audi and get them to try it in another car. It may be a dirty laser in your unit, and if the discs are a different type to your 2010 copy, that may be enough to hinder performance.

Hi Gary,

Didn't buy them from Audi, sourced from e-bay, but genuine discs, unlikely to be dirty laser as I cleaned it last week when my current disc started slowing down when selecting addresses..... now back to normal speedy service....

send it back for replacement

link to where you got it

unlikely to be dirty laser as I cleaned it last week when my current disc started slowing down when selecting addresses.
Could always be your laser getting weak.

Did the person you bought the RNS-E from use copied discs? They place more strain on the laser as they are harder to read than genuine pressed discs.

If you can read the discs OK in a PC then I suggest your laser is getting weak and needs replacing.

Someone once told me that 'less than legal' navigation data ISO's (for the RNSD anyway, probably same for E) had to be burned onto a specific brand of CD otherwise they wouldn't work. And then I reported them to the police ;)

I have just spoken to the seller on e-bay and he breaks cars, the discs were in a vehicle he took in and he has apologised for them not working, refunded the funds and told me not to bother sending them back......

Must say I am very impressed, just need to try and get proper discs now.....

not sure if this is going to help you get yours working, but my RNS-E is also a retro-fitted 2007 model (8E0 035 192 K) and definitely reads to 2012 discs fine... there's not much difference, except the petrol stations now have the logos, so I can hunt out my Vpower/Ultimate and avoid the others...

Hi lostbok,

my current 2010 disc does show the petrol station logos, the reason I was looking for a current disc is for this years trip to Le Mans, there are quite a few new roads built since 2010, and the French have a habit of changing road numbers and classifications fairly regularly, just don't want to get lost.....

Hi kite,

Have taken that route a few times now, however this year I am getting the overnight ferry to St Malo, rather than Chunnel to Calais, so N138 would be a hell of a detour!

Can't believe I leave in 27 days! Better get the car stickered up this weekend....

I have just spoken to the seller on e-bay and he breaks cars, the discs were in a vehicle he took in and he has apologised for them not working, refunded the funds and told me not to bother sending them back......

Must say I am very impressed, just need to try and get proper discs now.....

have you tried it in a pc yet? if it will read try making a copy