can I do a straight swap with my fuel filter

wallace78

Reaction score
Or do I hav 2 bleed it if so is there a certain way if doin it my car a 2.5 quattro,thnx

Just pull the fuse in the driver side dash start the engine so it stalls,then swap it over

you can just swap them over and crank it till it fires up, i normally undo an injector pipe to let out the air, its a little bit messy but a few tissues will sort that out, Or you could poor the diesel from the old filter into the new one but you may poor the dirt from the old filter into the new one,
9465e330.jpg

Last edited:
Never heard of pulling fuses before? It should be a straight swap. Top up fuel filter with fresh diesel prior to cranking. Job done.

I would avoid pulling a fuse for the fuel lift pump in the tank and running the filter dry. On most's VAG diesels engines the fuel not only powers the car it also lubricates the high pressure fuel pump so running it dry can cause damage.

I would just replace the filter and try to top it up with some fresh diesel if possibly. If not a few turns of the ignition on and off before attempting to start should get fuel from the tank to the filter to fill it up.

The correct VAG method is to use a vacuum pump with catch container on the return hose to the filter to drag the air out the system and get fresh fuel through.

thnx very much ian im goina change it on friday as its too pish down over here tomoro

Sorry I thought it was petrol, in thay case just swap it over. I'll let the diesi boys continue lol