Trolly Jack vrs standard jack points...

T0m

Reaction score
I had a disucssion with my gramps the other day and he thinks that using the standard jack and jacking points on a car is the best way of raising your car off the ground as this is what the car is designed for, however I disagree I always feel they are unstable and a trolly jack is by far the best way of raising your car off the ground (ok I dont have the lifting tools like a garage would). Me personally I look for a strong section of the frame and lift from there. but I find it more difficult with the rear maybe as Ive never really had to lift the rear so I was wondering where do you lift the car from, do you have any pics?ThanksTom

The sills are strong enough to take the weight that's where I use as jacking points but I would only use a trolley jack and the scissor jack as an emergency

Based on past experience, jacking points on sills are only good for quick tyre changes with the scissor jack. For proper lifting, putting a trolley jack underneath on a load point then useing axle stands is better. It's just that I've had many cars where the scissor jacking points eventually lose the paint and start to rust or even on (French cars) where the sill jacking seam sometimes folds flat when a trolley jack is put under it.

Ive jacked the car up using a trolly jack in the jacking points and found that the so called teeth on a trolley jack cup (the bit that lifts the car) sit either side of that lip and lifts the car without damaging that lip.stu_m so do you use the original jack that is supplied with the car to lift it then?

Last edited:
Based on past experience, jacking points on sills are only good for quick tyre changes with the scissor jack. For proper lifting, putting a trolley jack underneath on a load point then useing axle stands is better. It's just that I've had many cars where the scissor jacking points eventually lose the paint and start to rust or even on (French cars) where the sill jacking seam sometimes folds flat when a trolley jack is put under it.

It goes without saying to take a look at the sills and if they look rotten then find a better jacking point but I've never had a problem on any Audi they have always been good and solid

stu_m -> For the benefit of others on here who may not be techincally minded explain loading points if you dont mind fella?

stu_m so do you use the original jack that is supplied with the car to lift it then?

the only time I use the jack supplied with the vehicle is in an emergency like a flat at the side of the road

I have a huge workshop with a few decent size jacks the type tyre fitters use these have rubber cups to prevent damage

there's nothing wrong with the jacking points on a car providing they aren't rotten but I certainly wouldn't use the supplied jacks all the time they are too unstable

If you want other good jacking points there's usually a couple of chassis rails about a foot under most cars usually where the suspension arms/wishbones connect to

I used the standard one on my old Golf and literally a minute or 2 after my whole body was under the car it collapsed, only used it because my exhaust fell off in the middle of nowhere

I only use a trolley jack and axle stands for everything now

Obviously im not saying all standard jacks are going to be dangerous because that would be suicide for car manufacturers, could have been a one off with mine and maybe i missed the sil or something and it just slid off

The standard jack supplied with your car has an alternate name ' The Widowmaker ' it has earnt this for a reason. They are ****e and should only be used as a last resort to change a wheel. Never ever go beneath or try to use to do work on your car. Use a trolley jack and stands always.:icon_thumright:

On the sill as per the manufacturer's recommending jacking points, but using a trolley jack with the grooved cup, so it doesn't damage teh sill / slip.

Once up, an axle stand and then lower it so it just starts to take the weight.

If you are forced by circumstance to use the car's supplied jack, say for changing a wheel, then start by sliding the spare wheel underneath the car. Then jack up, remove the flat, substitute it for the spare that's under the car, fit the spare.

That way, if the jack does fail, the wheel under the car will act as a buffer.

On my old golf I always used the Widowmaker, but then that was just to get enough clearance for the trolley jack to get under the car. PITA, but necessary.

hear hear I always use the wheel as a buffer should the jack fail but then I never use the standard Jack for working under the car!

Same as most people on here - I always use a small 2 tonne trolley jack under the proper jacking points on the sill. The cutouts in the cup locate under the sill to give more security.
I can understand why the standard jack is called a 'widowmaker' - it looks unstable, and could easily bend and collapse.
I wouldn't even use it when changing wheels - it just looks and feels sh**e!!

Trolly Jack + Stands is standard in my life, the factory jack is there for when your out on the road, always stick the spare wheel under the car incase the factory jack fails, once the wheel is taken off the car the spare is taken out from under the car and the other wheel goes in its place in seconds, then i put the new wheel onto the car,

as has been said the wheel under the car is essential. I had a scissor jack fold on me while changing a flat on an audi 80 many years ago. the spare wheel under the back axle saved the car from dropping and I had to borrow someone else's to finish off. Most often though it's an issue of balance and people get hurt because they are working on the car and the scissor jack simply falls over sideways.

I don't even like a 2 tonne trolley jack as with the weight of my car I wrecked one in the UK and another here in Finland before I bought my house with garage. now I have a big 3 tonne garage jack and recommend if you have room for one then splash the 70 odd quid for one. Plus axle stands of course and I even leave the trolley jack resting somewhere as a backup too.
***edit** and wheel chocks.. and car in gear where possible... and anything else that may seem over the top but is better than a crushed skull

If ever you need convincing that a scissor jack is not the way to go see here. The number of deaths and injuries caused by these things is incredible.