Very interesting read for tdi owners

stu_m

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=215202

I did my cam belt at the weekend and found my timing to be out it was retarded by 3 degrees before the belt change I have put it spot on 0 degrees just by locking it all up properly with the correct tools and a new belt

My car runs so much smoother now and no lumpy starts for the first few seconds from cold

Might be worth a check

First time I have seen that Phil

That is a really good write up and should be made a sticky IMO

There's nothing on my belt cover to suggest what mine should be but its bang on zero this was achieved just by locking the crank and can when I did my belt change, because it was slightly off I couldn't get the cam locking pin in

Great post thanks, I will be checking mine as I have the symptons:)

First time I have seen that Phil

That is a really good write up and should be made a sticky IMO

My fault, I forgot about it. I've retitled the thread and put it in the DIY Guides sticky.

I personally wouldn't only look at this after all other options have been eliminated. Thats what i done.

Now from doing more research, which I'm going to try, it looks like the correct spec to get both fuel economy and power is trial and error. I've set mine at 0.0 with i think it going to +0.5 when warm, and this is on vag com btw and I'm getting about 46mpg brim to brim pretty consistently, so I'm going to try some other setups, first starting with -1 ish and see how my MPG and drivability goes.

Please tho people, DO NOT attempt this without vag com.

I was getting 43 mpg average before my cam belt change I have just filled up to the brim so will check it again once I fill up again

I might have a play about with it just depends on my mpg really I can feel a difference in power the torque seems lower down the rev range then before

Stu, what is your syncro angle now?

Or for anyone with Vag Com, can you read block 4 to see what you are set at and post back along with your MPG.

Im going to be adjusting soon to see if i can improve mpg.

Mines bang on 0.0 now so will see how it goes

Thanks. How does it feel?

Can you check what you are getting on idle in blocks 013 and 015 for me please?

I'd like to see if adjusting the timing has an effect on idle stabilization and fuel consumption reported in vag com.

It has more torque lower down the rev range now and will pull from 4th from 1200rpm with ease where as before it would struggle a bit

Yes I will check those for you but will be later or even tomorrow I don't know what the values was before though

Take it mine is bad then ?

Injection Start (specified) 4.2 - 4.3 ATDC

Injection Duration (specified) 4.6 - 4.8 KW

Torsion Value 0.35

Injection Quantity -0.14 to -0.20
Deviation cyl 1

Injection Quantity -0.26 to -0.29
Deviation cyl 2

Injection Quantity-0.11 to 0.17
Deviation cyl 3

Injection Quantity -0.31 to -0.39
Deviation cyl 4

Thanks. How does it feel?

Can you check what you are getting on idle in blocks 013 and 015 for me please?

I'd like to see if adjusting the timing has an effect on idle stabilization and fuel consumption reported in vag com.

hows this for ya?

Take it mine is bad then ?

Injection Start (specified) 4.2 - 4.3 ATDC

Injection Duration (specified) 4.6 - 4.8 KW

Torsion Value 0.35

Injection Quantity -0.14 to -0.20
Deviation cyl 1

Injection Quantity -0.26 to -0.29
Deviation cyl 2

Injection Quantity-0.11 to 0.17
Deviation cyl 3

Injection Quantity -0.31 to -0.39
Deviation cyl 4

Thanks for that mate! Yours looks great to be honest, i wouldnt even waste your time gettin it from 0.35 down to 0.0. Small spread between cylinders shows injectors and cams are good. Does it idle and run ok? MPG ok?

hows this for ya?

Excellent, thanks. Looks very similar to mine to be honest. Any thoughts to how its running yet?

The problem with owning a second hand car is that i have no idea what the torsion/cam timing was set up at in the factory, theyre never bang on 0.0 apparently, so finding the optimal timing is literally trial and error.

I think it runs miles better it starts better and pulls stronger too

Mpg wise don't know yet as it will be at least 3 weeks before I fill up again but if I go by the miles to empty its looking worse but I don't rely on that

Thanks for that mate! Yours looks great to be honest, i wouldnt even waste your time gettin it from 0.35 down to 0.0. Small spread between cylinders shows injectors and cams are good. Does it idle and run ok? MPG ok

Excellent, thanks. Looks very similar to mine to be honest. Any thoughts to how its running yet?

The problem with owning a second hand car is that i have no idea what the torsion/cam timing was set up at in the factory, theyre never bang on 0.0 apparently, so finding the optimal timing is literally trial and error.

Thanks Phil W. Yeah runs fine idles good too. MPG 40- 41. Have see what the Torsion Value is when i have had the cambelt done.

Well had cambelt done today. Car seams to drive fine, But checked Torsion Value again.
It's out more than the old belt ? Is this because it new needs running in?
audicambelt.png

Thanks
Dan

thats about right dan for a new belt as the old one will have been stretched although it seems a little advanced to me?

although you can easily adjust it!

while we are on this thread i filled up the other day and my average was 42mpg which was about the same as before this was at 0.0°

i have adjusted mine to 1.0° and will check mpg again as it seems to drive better

This wont do any damage if i leave it at 2.23 will it ?
I'd have to get the garage to adjust it if so. Dont have the balls to doit
Thanks again Stu_m

no it wont hurt anything

the range is +3°to-3° and to adjust its really easy its only 3 bolts

if it drives fine and the MPG is ok then just leave it