another cooling fan thread!

bowen

Reaction score
I was fixing/nosing around at my SAI to fix a code i had pop on on friday, when i noticed something else.

My engine cooling fans dont come on?! So i searched here for an answer. Most people seem to have an issue with pulsing fans or fans that wont turn off.

I put the A/C on an the fan began to spin. When the A/C is off there is no fan running.

What process of elimination should i take next?

Thanks once again!

havent the 1.8t got viscous fan like the tdi's ??? the air con switching an electric fan on is normal

mine has a viscous fan and an electric one mines a 1.9 tdi avb engine code the electric fan on the right is for the AC and will only come on when the AC needs it

if you have an electric fan on the left and its not on then dont worry just wait till the weather warms up and make sure it comes on in hot weather and your temp sensor doesn't go sky high

it all sounds normal to me

OK, I maybe over reacting. I just went for a hard drive, got back and I would usually expect there to be a fan running.

@Mark and James; My understanding of a viscous fan is that it should run all the time. Is that correct?

Thanks for the speedy replies.

yes a viscous fan runs all the time and is run from the auxiliary belt that does the power steering and alternator they speed up the hotter the rad gets :)

Thanks Stu,

Well my viscous fan is not running, at all. Fuse? Relay?

yeah a viscous fan will just free wheel with engine revs and when it hits the temp it works at it locks in and fires up... doubt you will hear it working they are very quite at the best of times..... if you been for a hard drive it must work if you aint going over 90 oc