Incorrect oil spec!

p1tse

Reaction score
Hi
I have just had an oil change and was taking extra care in selecting the correct oil. I wanted the Castrol SLK Longlife II to conform with my 2001 1.9tdi. The bottles were 1 ltrs and then the guy saw a large can. It turns out this was the Castrol SLX SynthetIQ Intelligence. Hmm the little bottles were right, 506.01 for longlife. The recommended for fixed services are 505.01 or 506.01 for variable. I now have 502.00/505.00 503.01

Apparantly the .01 is required for diesels with pump injectors and I think mine fits the catagory.

Can anyone please tell me if this will be ok? Reading Audi stuff the sae numbers are essential!! I'm a bit concerned.

Thanks

Mark

Just check your handbook...... I would've thought the SLX (503.01) would be ok. I'll check my handbook for you later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I put the Castrol SLK Longlife II in my 1.8T engine. Get it from a mate at VW seems to do the trick!! Supposed to be pretty expensive but i just give my mate £25 for 6 litres of oil and a filter.

i use fully synthetic vauxhall oil, 5w40
reason being i have always used it and found it too be very good, after all thats what they use so it cant be that bad, plud not many people know it but they do a 4 for 3 offer, with my trade account i just got 4 x 5l bottles for £46

<font color="black"> Volkswagen Group Oil Specifications and their Applications </font>

VW 500.00
This is an “old” oil specification and is applicable to engines built before model year 2000 (up to August 1999)
Viscosity ratings: SAE 5w-40, 10w-40 or 20w-40
This oil can be used in all petrol and some diesel engines, apart from those referred to under other specifications.

VW 501.01
This is another “old” oil specification with exactly the same application as
VW 500.00.
Viscosity ratings: SAE 10w-40, 15w-40 or 20w-40

VW 502.00
This oil can only be used in petrol engines and is recommended for those which are subject to arduous conditions. It must not be used for any engines with variable service intervals or any which are referred to under other specifications.
Viscosity ratings: SAE 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40

VW 503.00
This is a relatively new oil specification for petrol engines with variable service intervals. It includes the AUDI S4, but not the RS4, or the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp.
Viscosity rating: SAE 0w-30

VW 503.01
A new oil specification specifically for the RS4, and the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp, Passat W8 and Phaeton W12.
Viscosity rating: 0w-30

VW 505.00
For all diesel engines prior to model year 2000 (August 1999)
Viscosity rating: 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40

VW 505.01
For all diesel engines with unit injectors (Pumpe-Duse or PD) without variable service intervals.
Viscosity rating: SAE 5w-40

VW 506.00
For all diesel engines except those with unit injectors, with variable service intervals.

VW 506.01
For all diesel engines, including those with unit injectors, with variable service intervals.

Hope this helps!

505.01 is for PD engines, you must not use anything else. This oil is the only one designed to meet the spec.

The VW pd engines are very severe on the oil, the mechanical fuel pump delivers fuel at approx. 25,000 psi !!!!! to enable a very precise injector spray pattern which, in turn, gives excellent driving characteristics. The very high loads on the fuel pump will lead to VI improver shear down and oil viscosity loss if the engine is operated on lesser oils.

Cheers
Simon

Cheers Simon, so with me having the 503.01 oil (designed for earlier diesel engines) I could be knackering the injectors?? With this oil breakdown sooner? It's only been in 2 weeks and am not sure whether I should drain it or bring the drain time a bit sooner? I only do about 7-8k a year!

Cheers
Mark

The 503.01 is not approved for PD engines and therefore will have different shear properties.

I would change to the proper oil.

Cheers
Simon

Hi

Can I be sure mine is a PD engine? Is there a way of telling? Are all 2001 onwards 1.9TDi 130 BHPs the PD??

I'm amazed that an engine requires this exact spec! Are dealers and non franshised dealers going to use this correct oil? Seems a bit scary that VW/Audi engines require such a specific oil. I don't understand why other high spec oils like 505.00 and 503.01 would not sufficiently lubricate these injectors!!!

Cheers

Mark

hi there
if you look on top of the cambelt cover you will see AWX marked and also in the sparewheel well the id ticket also says AWX this relates to the 130 bhp pumpe duse engine mine is a 2002 on a 51 plate