1.9tdi cam belt

stu_m

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Did my cam belt today on my car and must say its the easiest one I have ever done although getting to it is a different story!

The hardest part is getting to the belt

The timing was slightly out too but spot on now and the car runs so much better!

If you are handy with a spanner and know how to take the bumper off I would think about doing your own instead of paying someone

Reactions: Jonboya3
i've done a few 1.9tdi's
before
190620071093.jpg

after
200620071100.jpg

Just over 4 but was messing about with other things while it was apart plus fitted a tyre for b mate between it too!!

I recon I could do one in less then 3 hours

Cool, I'm doing mine tomorrow night. I'm cutting it very fine as I'm going away for a long Euro trip on Thursday, so fingers crossed that nothing goes awry!

More annoying questions: When bringing the lock carrier forward into service position, did you have to use the threaded rods as desribed in Hanyes?

I used two coach bolts but because I was draining the rad I could pull it further out the way I removed the condensor and laid that on the floor and swung the rad out the way much easier then just moving it forward

Did mine last night. Using Haynes and a very useful video that stu_m posted I had all the info I needed.

Planning to do my 1.9Tdi v soon. Which DIY guide is thought best to work from and are the locking tools 100% necessary or just recommended? Did my S3 recently which wasn't an easy job!

Yeah the locking tools are needed. Well, definitly the lower one, the top one can be done with a 6mm drill bit instead. I bought the 3 piece tool set from ebay for about £12, but didn't need the tensioner adjuster as mine was the friction type and could be done with an allen key. I imagine it's much easier than as S3 as the engine is longitudional and only 1 cam.

For guides, I followed Haynes for bumper removal/lock carrier in service position but for the engine work, mostly followed this excellent video guide (for friction tensioners) which stu_m posted: SKF Installing an SKF Timing belt kit with water pump VKMC 01250-1 on a Volkswagen Passat 1.9 TDI - YouTube It's for a Passat but is exactly the same (apart from the initial bodywork section).

Excellent vid, thanks for the link.

What is the latest view on mileage/ time intervals for changing the cambelt on the 1.9tdi PD 130? I'm on 4 years 44k miles...

Can anyone give em a list of tools needed? Ive done a 1.9TDI Before.

I have the locking tools, but Ive just moved from parents house and have limited tools so have to borrow.

Am I right in thinking :

Locking Tools
Rachet
Extension Bar
10mm Socket/Spanner
13mm Socket/Spanner
15mm Socket/Spanner
16mm Socket/Spanner
17mm Socket/Spanner
18mm Socket/Spanner
19mm Socket/Spanner

A Flat Head Scredriver
A Set of Hex Key/Torx Keys for Crankshaft pully?

Anything else?