Cambelt Change:Reset Pulleys?

starnon

Reaction score
Of those who did their on DIY cambelt change (1.9 TDI) did everyone reset the pulleys? It seems like such a hassle and I'm very tempted to simply lock the bottom and top pulleys in place (as per the kit tools) and just change the belt over.

Also, I've heard people talking about the bumper removal being a pain, was this to totally remove it? I've read in Hanyes that it just needs to be put forward into 'service position' (although maybe even this is a pain!).

the bumper has to be removed to put the front panel in service mode

you have to reset the cam sprocket to do the belt as you could easily get one tooth out and pop goes all that hard work just for not undoing 3 bolts and moving the cam sprocket clockwise!!

its only 3 extra bolts to do it right why risk it?

Ok, just that haynes suggests making some ruddy bespoke tool to hold the pulley in place (it shows removing all the outer cam pulleys to do this). I have the tool for locking the top and bottom pulleys, so you reckon it's just a case of slackening off the 3 bolts on the top pulley and re-aligning it to the marker?

you dont need to remove the pulleys at all to do the cam belt I've just double checked my haynes and it has no mention of it?

basically lock the top and bottom remove the old belt, tensioner and idler loosen the three bolts on the cam sprocket rotate it clockwise ( it will come back when you tension) fit the belt, idler and tensioner tension up tighten the three bolts on the cam sprocket and jobs a good un

I'm doing mine tomorrow!

That's great, excellent video. Yeah, that's more like what I meant. Haynes was instructing me to remove the cam pulleys as well to reset them.. :/

did you read section "5 timing belt tensioner and sprockets" if so forget that lot and stick to section "4 timing belt"

i have my haynes in front of me now and for the 1.9tdi it has no mention of sprocket alignment

Ah, I see now. When I was reading 4.5, I thought it was referring me to do Section 5, but now I re-read it, it's just referring to something in it. Much easier ;)

yes you are supposed to hold the sprocket with the tool from section 5 to undo the three bolts but as you can see in the video you dont have to as you have locked the cam with the pin so wont move anyway :)