ESP Light on and Glow Plug Light Flashing - Car Cuts Out! Help!

jay786

Reaction score
Hi people,

Recently i have been having this problem with my Audi A4 1.9 TDI B6 AVB.

Randomly the ESP light would come on and the squiggly Glow Plug light would keep on flashing. The car does not move at all but the engine is still on and if i press the gas pedal nothing happens. Also its stuck on 1200 revs. After switching the car off and switching it on again after 5 minutes .. the car drove for a bit and then the same problem happened again ..??

Whats the cause to this problem?

Many Thanks

Snap.... look in your foot well i suspect they are full of water with all the rain we have had over the past few days....... try and dry up and round the foot pedals with an hair dryer and once the accelerator works go for a run with the heaters on HI pointing to the foot well should sort your problems but will need to wet vat the carpets.... Try and do this straight away to prevent other issues with water.

Let me know how you get on

Thanks

I would get a diagnostic check done .Have you checked for water under the battery?

You will also need to check the drain hopes are not blocked with crap under the battery to stop this happening again.

Thanks

A typo - drain holes.

Look in the DIY guides sticky for "Removing the plenum gromets".

Even if you have no water in your plenum chamber i can guarantee its damp in your ecu wires. I had exactly same problem, spent loads on new throttle pedal amongst other things. Turned out the seal on the box that houses the ecu had perished and hence the connectors got damp and had signs of corrosion on them.

The box is on the top left hand side of the engine bay , big black plastic thing!! You will need to remove the drivers side winscreeen wiper to undo the last torx screw to gain access. once youve done this you can pull the colour coded plugs out and check for corrosion.

If you see any signs you will have to undo a couple more things to remove the bottom half of the box (which has the seal on it) and replace the whole thing. clean all coloured plugs thoroughly with brake cleaner, bit of wd40 and reassemble. Job done.

Sounds harder than it is, I had someone mechanically minded with me to help, which was good. But the box with all fixings cost 50 odd quid and it 100% solved this problem. !!

if you do some searching on the forum there is a really good guide that will help you out.!!

no, check the coloured multi plugs at the back in the ecu box on the o/s of the plenum chamber first.
these plugs are the ones that connect the body loom to the engine loom. being that the 6/7 wires that connect the pedal sensor to the engine loom go thru these plugs...... any discolouration/corrosion creates high resistance.

no the engine skipping a beat problem was a seperate issue.

There was a broken wire that goes from the intake manifold flap to a solenoid that controls it, check all the wiring around that area thoroughly.

no the engine skipping a beat problem was a seperate issue.

There was a broken wire that goes from the intake manifold flap to a solenoid that controls it, check all the wiring around that area thoroughly.

DO you know which cable it was exactly?
any pics

thanks

Had this exact problem a few weeks back, with exactly the same symptoms that you are describing; then the problem became more frequent.

Turned out that I needed a new throttle pedal; changed it and the car has been perfect ever since. Look into it mate. Me and my mate took the pcb out of the sensor part on top of the pedal and there was corrosion over the gold plated contacts.

Had this exact problem a few weeks back, with exactly the same symptoms that you are describing; then the problem became more frequent.

Turned out that I needed a new throttle pedal; changed it and the car has been perfect ever since. Look into it mate. Me and my mate took the pcb out of the sensor part on top of the pedal and there was corrosion over the gold plated contacts.

How much was the throttle pedal, can i not just buy the sensor?
Thanks

Hi, sorry to bother u mate, was wondering if you could post the picture of the wire going to the solenoid.
Thanks

sorry pal completely forgot, will try and get a pic up tomoz !!!

i changed the throttle pedal and still i am having the problem. ESP light comes on and glow plug light flashes!
Please help .. what else could it be ..?
I checked the ECU box its all dry .. anyone have any pics where to look exactly?

Thanks in advance

firstly sorry i havent got back to you with that pic, I work for myself and have been stupidly busy and so keep forgetting.

the engine skipping a beat and the glow plug light etc are two completely different issues, even though it may seem otherwise.

Judging from my exact same experience the glow plug light flashing etc, I would say is definately the connector plugs inside your ecu box. Its not entirely related to the plenum chamber issue. mine was 100% dry and this was still my problem. its becasue your seal on the bottom of the box is perished and you will need to replace the whole box.... contact stoke audi on this forum for everything you need...

like i said in a previous post,,,as well as replacing the box you need to disconnect all the coloured plugs and clean the mothers out of them... any greeny coloured staining is corrosion, and mine was only slightly green. cleaned them up real good with brake cleaner, then a bit of wd40 and never had an issue since.

okay so what is the cause of the engine skipping a beat?

Thanks

you need to check all wires in the area im pointing to in the pic, one of mine (not sure which one was hanging on by a thread !!! stripped it back and reconnected and presto!! problem solved!!!

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg