AEB wideport head as a replacement for AVJ head?

2.0 8v

Evolving Perspective.
Reaction score
My B6 1.8T quattro sport needs the stem seals replacing and a general overhaul of the head. I have a rebuilt AEB wideport head to use as a replacement. The original head will be going back on, possibly with a few other bits (sport cat, ko3s, tt injectors etc). Aside from the chain tensioner (mines electronically controlled), will the AEB be a bolt on fit? The AEB head is complete, minus rocker cover. My concern lies with the manifolds. Hope someone can shed a little light on this. My aim is to have the car off the road for as little time as possible. Thanks for any advice offered. Denis

Last edited:
Denis, straight swap. Like you say your head has Vvt AEB doesn't, don't worry though just leave the Vvt plug unplugged and the car will be fine. Will through a code but that'll be all , won't affect driving. Manifolds, ports etc are indentical except the AEB is a large port do the inlet ports are bigger but won't stop you fitting the inlet manifold etc. if you're looking to upgrade to a k03s anyway you're better off getting the AEB refurbed, getting an AEB inlet manifold and swapping over the Vvt. Easy job. Then you'll have a better head, and more potential power.

Dont fancy a hybrid turbo then?

Thanks Beachbuggy, had a bit of a read (nothing else to do today, ******* rain) I have to delete the combi valve also, along with the SAI gubbins. Also have to swap over my cam pulley and the trigger wheel for the cam position sensor. The check lights are in hand, spoke with the mapper today. Hybrid turbo might take the car too far. I drive this everyday, a degree of fuel economy and low down torque limit how far I can tune it. Loads of other bits to do as well, new arms, suspension, lumbar support.....the list never ends! Still love the car though.