1.9 Tdi FWD Avant Multitronic MPG

Family Wagon

Reaction score
Hi

I've got a 1.9Tdi Avant FWD Multitronic what sort of MPG are you getting, should I be getting.

I'm only getting about 41 MPG, I'm driving like miss daisy to get that too, thats over the last 6 months.

Car was serviced less than 6,000 miles ago, standard car, tyre pressures are good running 17's.

Most journeys are mainly driving on B roads for about 30 mins to an hour, moving all the time and not suck in traffic

Temp sits at 90 so I'm not sure whether the CTS should be changed.

Thanks

Does it warm up quickly?Brakes not binding?I have a 2.5Tdi Quattro and would be glad to get near 41 mpg .The autos do seem much thirstier.Has the ATF been changed

I'm averaging 43 in my 1.9 manual

There is loads of threads on this already so have a search you will probably find its about right

My 1.9 130 manual FWD is doing 38.8 MPG on the DIS which is poor. I'm about to fill up shortly, so see how it ties in with a manual calculation.

I've just got 620 miles out of a full tank from brim full to zero miles on the dis ..... thats with Quattro and half and half driving miss daisy @ 60 motorway and the other half @ 80 with a small amount of town driving where i do tend to boot it a bit ..... quite happy with that
:)

I would have expected around 45mpg with a mix of town and motorway (70mph) cruising... depends on the B road, twists and turns, up and down hills would bring the mpg down a bit...

"driving like miss daisy", I've managed nearly 55mpg on a full tank in a 1.9TDI 130.... in a 2001 VW Sharan (although admittedly a 6sp manual)!! Official MPG stats on that are 43mpg, versus a 130TDI multitronic A4 AVant which is 48mpg... what do you get if you reset the DIS and jsut run it at a steady 70mph on a flat stretch of road?

If temp moves up to 90 and then just sits there, that sounds fine.

what do you get if you reset the DIS and jsut run it at a steady 70mph on a flat stretch of road?

I think the result of the DIS is misleading, the MPG varies a lot depending on even the slightest pitch change on the road. Even when rolling along an apparently even motorway with the cruise control on, the MPG reading can jump around a fair bit (on DIS current reading). The only real way to work out MPG is to record how many miles done between fillups and how many litres used, other methods such as 'brim to brim' / 'on a tank' leave a fair bit of margin for error.

We should have a thread, maybe a sticky, where people can note their MPG readings based on both DIN reading and own calculations as the MPG issue comes up a lot, specially for us derv derp users.

Thanks for the replies.

Brakes are not binding, MAF sensor was changed not done ATF. Gets to 90 temp within about 5 mins of driving.

I've got the figs using MPG calculator an android app, B roads are not flat and plenty of bends.

I was hoping with a diesel to get closer to 50MPG, I suppose that as the Avant is quite heavy and it Auto I should be happy with what I'm getting.

Thanks for the replies.

Brakes are not binding, MAF sensor was changed not done ATF. Gets to 90 temp within about 5 mins of driving.

I've got the figs using MPG calculator an android app, B roads are not flat and plenty of bends.

I was hoping with a diesel to get closer to 50MPG, I suppose that as the Avant is quite heavy and it Auto I should be happy with what I'm getting.
All sounds in order.I think the ATF needs changing regulary on the Multi and fresh might help.I have a tuning box on mine which theorectically increases mpg but I cant prove it and a good one is about £400.I had a manual before and just accepted that there is a price to pay for an auto but its not getting any easier!!