Looking at a A4 3.0L Quattro Convertible.What should i look out for?

afcjay

Reaction score
My sis is after a Audi A4 convertible and ive got the job to find one lol.

Ive found a 3.0L Quattro with 102,000 miles on a 53 plate at a good price and was wondering what faults i should look out for apart from the normal stuff oil/water leaks/clutch/smoke/ratttles/roof issues/shocks/brakes/exhausts/steering etc etc

Im looking at manuals as ive heard alot about problems with the CVT boxes

So apart from the Haldex oil/filters being done every 60k correct me if im wrong (could someone also tell me the cost to have it done)

Also the cambelt/water pump being done (can someone also give me a rough price to have this done)

Are there any know faults with the 3.0L Quattro????? Do they suffer from head problems (eg porus?) Any gearbox problems or any other issues that are common on these 3.0L models

Many thanks

cats are worth checking as dealer replacements are somewhere neat 2 grand for the pair (of course you can get something made for a fraction of that. I have an S4 milltek cat back and s8 cats welded into the original downpipes). Do you have access to vcds/vagcom? It would be good to scan and see if there are any error codes there to give you a heads up. the cats can start to throw fault codes but will be sporradic for months before they become a problem.
I haven't noticed anything else that's specifically common to the 3.0 though. Apart from wanting 2 turbos on it later :)

no haldex i believe, dont think engines tend to give much trouble, audi doing recall on coil packs foc so get this done if it hasnt already and as you mentioned cambelt/water pump change is imperative and might as well do aux belt as well. manual gearbox all day long for me and clutch may need or have been done. maybe about £500 for belt etc not sure but audi offer fixed price on such work and as you say just the normal things associated with 100k on it. couldnt comment on roof but i had a 3.0 avant and bar a cam sensor it gave no trouble at all and never even used a drop of oil

cats are worth checking as dealer replacements are somewhere neat 2 grand for the pair (of course you can get something made for a fraction of that. I have an S4 milltek cat back and s8 cats welded into the original downpipes). Do you have access to vcds/vagcom? It would be good to scan and see if there are any error codes there to give you a heads up. the cats can start to throw fault codes but will be sporradic for months before they become a problem.
I haven't noticed anything else that's specifically common to the 3.0 though. Apart from wanting 2 turbos on it later :)

Thanks for the reply

1k a piece! ill have a good look at them then lol
Dont have access to vagcom im affraid
Twin turbo would be nice lol

no haldex i believe, dont think engines tend to give much trouble, audi doing recall on coil packs foc so get this done if it hasnt already and as you mentioned cambelt/water pump change is imperative and might as well do aux belt as well. manual gearbox all day long for me and clutch may need or have been done. maybe about £500 for belt etc not sure but audi offer fixed price on such work and as you say just the normal things associated with 100k on it. couldnt comment on roof but i had a 3.0 avant and bar a cam sensor it gave no trouble at all and never even used a drop of oil

Thanks for the reply

is that right that the quattros are sealed units and dont need oil/filters? Handy if they are.

ill check about the coilpacks and get them done if they havent alreay (save a good few quid)

Ive read about the cambelt/water pump and it seems that the bumper/front has to be removed! £500 would be cheap considering wouldnt it? Id get the aux belt done at the same time like you say

Id like to think like you say the engine being a 3.0l should be pretty bomb proof

Worth bearing in mind, only front wheel drive models have the cvt multitronic gearbox, the quattros have a conventional torque converter auto box which is very reliable.

Roof is fairly problem free, obviously check operation a few times and check rear glass window isn't loose as can't be repaired apparently. new roof required.

Also ensure the roof stowage box selector lever in the boot works correctly

As above check the rear window some early cabs had probs with the window bonding failing and the glass coming away from the fabric. It can't be repaired. You can pick up new roofs on eBay, I got a brand new black fabric outer for £150 woohoo as a spare.

Heated seats are a must if you get full leather in my opinion.

Check all the electrics work and cam belt, a proper belt including rollers tensioners and water pump will set you back about £800 inc vat at a dealer.

Check the plenum chamber ,sticky is in here.

I love my cab, best most fun car I ever had and this is about my 15th car

damn. i'm guessing the round trip from finland plus map cost will work out more expensive than I can justify... hmmm :)

Thanks for all the replys. Picked up a manual 3.0L Quattro Sport 53 plate,102k with FASH,12 months MOT,metalic black,full leather for a little over 4k so happy days (when lookiing on various sites they were asking stupid money).Will get some pics up in the near future as im sure she will want me to give it a bit of a detailing. Once again thanks for all the replys,shes over the moon with it

will do.once again thanks for all the replys/help/advice

I didn't even know the 3.0 Cab's came with quattro!! I think they come fwd too?

yep. both. I once followed a 3.0Q cabby on the M74 before I owned my A4 and I remember thinking "oooh. that thing looks torquey! I want one" ... but eneded up with an avant with having small kids and all :)

LOL I've had two very nice winters with my 3.0 Cab Quattro Tiptronic. And very nice it is indeed. Can't say (famous last words) anything has gone wrong with mine, other than a coil pack one day. Bought mine at 48k miles, now has 81k miles. Great cars.

PS. Does a remap of the 3.0V6 really make a difference? I'm tempted if it does, and wishes my exhaust went to give it a little bit more sound as it is nice :0

I've been talking to Will at p-torque and he seems to think a re map suits the V6 ! It makes the car alot more drivable .
I had my old R32 mapped but had the dsg done as well so it was an all over change !
I'll be getting mine done once I've got some other bits sorted !!