Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

Oil Pick up pipe Sludge

Hi all,

Just planning a few preventative maintenance operations and was wondering about peoples experience with the oil pick up pipe problem.

My A4 1.8t (190) is coming up to 99k miles. It has had regular oil changes every 7.5k miles (along with spark plugs, air filter) How succeptable would you expect this car to be to the sludge in the oil pick up pipe? If i increase the oil changes to every 5k miles do you think i can avoid the problem?

It's due an oil change next week and i was going to put the larger transporter oil filter on giving the increase in oil capacity, is this filter a definate fit on this engine? filter reference 501440080, or would people recommend just going with the slightly larger filter reference 068115561F?

I was doing to do an engine flush at the same time, is this advisable? would this just likely dislodge any sludge and make any existing problem worse? Should i flush it twice?

Also if i do go the whole hog and get the pick up pipe replaced, is it advisable to replace the oil pump at the same time? Is it ok to keep the same pump?

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    If your car has had good synthetic oil every 7.5k then you should be ok.

Wouldnt bother with engine flush, as you said it may cause problems.

Just get a good quality synthetic (or ester) based oil as they tend to clean over time.

3rd Gear

Status
    I change the oil in mine every 5k or 6months and always flush mine, the previous owner had the sludge problem and ended up having a new oil pump and pickup fitted i have got the receipt and it was a big bill 7 years ago. I do it just to keep it running sweet, never had any problems from flushing. Not tried the transporter filter on the engine yet but will do when the next service is due. The oil i use is Adelco 5w 30 its VW spec and £35 for 5L i have 1L left over for top ups if i need too
    A4 1.8T 190 S-Line, Stage 2 Shark Performance Map 230 BHP, Pipercross Panel Filter, Forge 007 DV, Blue Flame Performance Exhaust + High Flow Sports Cat, 8k HID Lights, 8k HID Fog Lights, LED Sidelights, LED Number Plate, Front + Rear Ambient Lighting, LED Interior Bulbs, Grooved Dimpled Disks, Ultimax Pads, RNS-E DVD, Tinted Windows, S4 Grill, Votex Rear Skirt, BOSE, Leather, Engine Covers, S4 Mirrors, RS4 Pedals, Gloss Black Wrapped Grills, 19" BBS LM's Summer, 19" RS6's Winter, Coilovers

1st Gear

Status
    im no expert but by doing so many engine flushes are you not causing more muck to land in the sump pan?
    2003 Audi A4 TDi 130 Quattro Sport Avant Black
    2005 Honda S2000 GT

1st Gear

Status
    Silly question but why would you fit a bigger oil filter ?

1st Gear

Status
    they say that the bigger filter allows the engine to hold more oil hence better oil pressure

secondly, a bigger oil filter is more likely to catch more sludge
    2005 Honda S2000 GT

3rd Gear

Status
    I know mine has already been cleaned and well looked after for the 5yrs i have had it out so i just do this as a precaution and to keep it clean on the inside, if its a new car that your not sure of then maybe a full strip down, get the sump off and replace the pickup, if your doing that you should change the pump as well as its a quite a big job to drop the sump and will save you money in the long run
    A4 1.8T 190 S-Line, Stage 2 Shark Performance Map 230 BHP, Pipercross Panel Filter, Forge 007 DV, Blue Flame Performance Exhaust + High Flow Sports Cat, 8k HID Lights, 8k HID Fog Lights, LED Sidelights, LED Number Plate, Front + Rear Ambient Lighting, LED Interior Bulbs, Grooved Dimpled Disks, Ultimax Pads, RNS-E DVD, Tinted Windows, S4 Grill, Votex Rear Skirt, BOSE, Leather, Engine Covers, S4 Mirrors, RS4 Pedals, Gloss Black Wrapped Grills, 19" BBS LM's Summer, 19" RS6's Winter, Coilovers

6th Gear

Status
    bob the cam cover off. if theres no carbon build up in there then theres non else where, and no need to worry.

given the oil change every 7.5k ish id say your ok!

a larger oil filter is increasing the filter area and also the overall capacity........... both good things!

1st Gear

Status
    I'll get the cam cover off if i get chance prior to pulling the trigger on any oil pick up pipe / oil pump work. going to go with the 068115561F filter for now and up the oil change schedule to twice a year. No engine flush i think, just to be on the safe side.

What about spark plugs? what do you recommend and will i need to gap them?

1st Gear

Status
    068115561F the bigger filter?
    2005 Honda S2000 GT

1st Gear

Status
    Apparently that's the bigger filter for the bex motor. Although a transporter one will fit with some buggeration.

1st Gear

Status
    argghh.. im not too familiar with engine codes

mine a 2003 53 A4 1.8T 190 bhp - what code is that?

edit: just found out! I'm a BEX !
    Last edited by BKZ187; 5th April 2012 at 15:09.
    2005 Honda S2000 GT

T0m
    2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by duffy78 View Post
    I'll get the cam cover off if i get chance prior to pulling the trigger on any oil pick up pipe / oil pump work. going to go with the 068115561F filter for now and up the oil change schedule to twice a year. No engine flush i think, just to be on the safe side.

What about spark plugs? what do you recommend and will i need to gap them?
    I did my spark plugs last year and never needed to gap them fella and they work fine!

4th Gear

Status
    To save a trip to the dealer, Halfords stock the larger oil filter for 1.8T's too, it's listed in their on shelf catalogue as a 2001 1.8T AVJ engine code part. GSF also stock them, part number 120VG0560.

As for flushing, no, I wouldn't risk it. It was doing that to my 1.8t that blocked my pick up pipe!
    Audi S3 - 2002MY - Denim Blue - Gone
    VW Polo GTI - 2011MY - Candy White - Here

1st Gear

Status
    I bought the bosch super plus suitable for the car. Checked the website and they are pregapped. But thanks anyway.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I know its an old thread now but I fitted the med size oil filter and it took about 1/2 - 2/3 more oil on the refill. Looked at the transporter (for a3 18t quatty) filter but wasn't certain about the valves & bypass valve pressure values!? I know the med filter has same valves (bypass and non return) and almost similar release values.
    Also heard that another way to clean the engine is use top quality full synth oil and regular changes (5k/6 months) over time the sludge will get picked up and caught in the filter before its recirculated into the sump - a more organic approach and saves work Anyone have an opinion about this?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by joe27 View Post
    I know its an old thread now but I fitted the med size oil filter and it took about 1/2 - 2/3 more oil on the refill. Looked at the transporter (for a3 18t quatty) filter but wasn't certain about the valves & bypass valve pressure values!? I know the med filter has same valves (bypass and non return) and almost similar release values.
    Also heard that another way to clean the engine is use top quality full synth oil and regular changes (5k/6 months) over time the sludge will get picked up and caught in the filter before its recirculated into the sump - a more organic approach and saves work Anyone have an opinion about this?
    That's 1/2 - 1/3 litre more oil