Oil Pick up pipe Sludge

duffy78

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just planning a few preventative maintenance operations and was wondering about peoples experience with the oil pick up pipe problem.

My A4 1.8t (190) is coming up to 99k miles. It has had regular oil changes every 7.5k miles (along with spark plugs, air filter) How succeptable would you expect this car to be to the sludge in the oil pick up pipe? If i increase the oil changes to every 5k miles do you think i can avoid the problem?

It's due an oil change next week and i was going to put the larger transporter oil filter on giving the increase in oil capacity, is this filter a definate fit on this engine? filter reference 501440080, or would people recommend just going with the slightly larger filter reference 068115561F?

I was doing to do an engine flush at the same time, is this advisable? would this just likely dislodge any sludge and make any existing problem worse? Should i flush it twice?

Also if i do go the whole hog and get the pick up pipe replaced, is it advisable to replace the oil pump at the same time? Is it ok to keep the same pump?

If your car has had good synthetic oil every 7.5k then you should be ok.

Wouldnt bother with engine flush, as you said it may cause problems.

Just get a good quality synthetic (or ester) based oil as they tend to clean over time.

I change the oil in mine every 5k or 6months and always flush mine, the previous owner had the sludge problem and ended up having a new oil pump and pickup fitted i have got the receipt and it was a big bill 7 years ago. I do it just to keep it running sweet, never had any problems from flushing. Not tried the transporter filter on the engine yet but will do when the next service is due. The oil i use is Adelco 5w 30 its VW spec and £35 for 5L i have 1L left over for top ups if i need too

im no expert but by doing so many engine flushes are you not causing more muck to land in the sump pan?

Silly question but why would you fit a bigger oil filter ?

they say that the bigger filter allows the engine to hold more oil hence better oil pressure

secondly, a bigger oil filter is more likely to catch more sludge

I know mine has already been cleaned and well looked after for the 5yrs i have had it out so i just do this as a precaution and to keep it clean on the inside, if its a new car that your not sure of then maybe a full strip down, get the sump off and replace the pickup, if your doing that you should change the pump as well as its a quite a big job to drop the sump and will save you money in the long run

bob the cam cover off. if theres no carbon build up in there then theres non else where, and no need to worry.

given the oil change every 7.5k ish id say your ok!

a larger oil filter is increasing the filter area and also the overall capacity........... both good things!

I'll get the cam cover off if i get chance prior to pulling the trigger on any oil pick up pipe / oil pump work. going to go with the 068115561F filter for now and up the oil change schedule to twice a year. No engine flush i think, just to be on the safe side.

What about spark plugs? what do you recommend and will i need to gap them?

Apparently that's the bigger filter for the bex motor. Although a transporter one will fit with some buggeration.

argghh.. im not too familiar with engine codes

mine a 2003 53 A4 1.8T 190 bhp - what code is that?

edit: just found out! I'm a BEX !

Last edited:
I'll get the cam cover off if i get chance prior to pulling the trigger on any oil pick up pipe / oil pump work. going to go with the 068115561F filter for now and up the oil change schedule to twice a year. No engine flush i think, just to be on the safe side.

What about spark plugs? what do you recommend and will i need to gap them?

I did my spark plugs last year and never needed to gap them fella and they work fine!

To save a trip to the dealer, Halfords stock the larger oil filter for 1.8T's too, it's listed in their on shelf catalogue as a 2001 1.8T AVJ engine code part. GSF also stock them, part number 120VG0560.

As for flushing, no, I wouldn't risk it. It was doing that to my 1.8t that blocked my pick up pipe!

I bought the bosch super plus suitable for the car. Checked the website and they are pregapped. But thanks anyway.

I know its an old thread now but I fitted the med size oil filter and it took about 1/2 - 2/3 more oil on the refill. Looked at the transporter (for a3 18t quatty) filter but wasn't certain about the valves & bypass valve pressure values!? I know the med filter has same valves (bypass and non return) and almost similar release values.
Also heard that another way to clean the engine is use top quality full synth oil and regular changes (5k/6 months) over time the sludge will get picked up and caught in the filter before its recirculated into the sump - a more organic approach and saves work:thumbsup: Anyone have an opinion about this?

I know its an old thread now but I fitted the med size oil filter and it took about 1/2 - 2/3 more oil on the refill. Looked at the transporter (for a3 18t quatty) filter but wasn't certain about the valves & bypass valve pressure values!? I know the med filter has same valves (bypass and non return) and almost similar release values.
Also heard that another way to clean the engine is use top quality full synth oil and regular changes (5k/6 months) over time the sludge will get picked up and caught in the filter before its recirculated into the sump - a more organic approach and saves work:thumbsup: Anyone have an opinion about this?

That's 1/2 - 1/3 litre more oil