Top Gear Prestigious Cars

markpetty

Reaction score
Did anyone see Top Gear? Their survey was about peoples' perception of prestige. It said that people rate the Lexus IS200 higher than the A4 in terms of prestige. In fact I believe the A4 came last overall except for the Passat.

At the top of the table I was certain that the winner would be the Mercedes C Class (or possibly the BMW 3-Series if enough chavs voted)but they came a distant second and third behind the X-Type! I have no problem with it's Mondeo underpinnings - 'cause they're good - but the press has made such a big deal about it, when the public obviously don't care.

I chose an A4 because I wanted the quality of a "premium brand" without looking like a poser. I've always considered Audi to be a reasonably tasteful choice, whereas I regard BMW as the obvious posers choice with an aggressive image. I think of the Mercedes as overpriced and nowhere near as good as most people think. The Lexus as well equipped and built, but with a boring bodyshape and woefully under-powered engine (considering it's fuel consumption). The X-Type as a good car, which looks far too "old man" and which needs a big diesel.

that was a shock

but i was more shocked the x5 was better on road/track than cayenne,

we may be biased though. obviously we would like audi's cause we own them and are on this forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The poll was with a cross section of the population many who have never driven any of the cars on the poll.

If jaguar have a better image then well done to them. If the poll was 'we asked 1000 people who have owned all the car's whats the best' it may be a different answer.

bet they're saying the same on bmw, lexus forums.

Audi wasn't the top of my list. I thought a golf was above everything else in its class. It was only after looking into how common they were that I decided on the A3. Would stick with audi till I can afford an Aston now. Mum's getting an A4 when she comes to change her car.

They asked a sample of a thousand Jaguar drivers! Could be properganda since Britain has lost a major car manufacturer. I would have picked them in the following order

1. Merc
2. BMW
3. Audi
4. Jag
5. Lexus
6. VW

i'd feel more grown up in a Jag. Think i'd go the fastest in bmw. Don't like Merc's. Rest about the same.

My friend said the same about people just knowing the brand name rather than the model. I've also come across that myself with my A4. I've heard people say "Wow! It's an RS6" and also people sometimes think it's an A3 or an A8. Funny.

Very true Markoose, one of the blokes at work said nice RS6 indicating my A3 with bodykit.

Ummmm Yeah i said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes indeed, its a strange world indeed,i had a group of lads looking at mine, one turns to me and said what model is that!! and his mate turns round and says it's an A8!! couldn't quite get my head round it till i seen the advert for the A8...

[ QUOTE ]
but to be honest (and no doubt others will agree), I couldn't give a hoot where Audi come in 5th gears poll. It's the car for me so I'm happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif