Chris NottMonster Motorsport

Thread: MMI

Neutral

Status

MMI

I have the audi MMi full sat-nav / bose etc in my A4 but the twat nav disc seems to have bio degraded or something as it's now unreadable, any pointers for a newer version disc that doesn't involve spending more than a garmin costs new

I don't mind gracing someone with a drink if they have a working copy or can copy me one
    54' 1.9tdi A4 Avant quattro sport - pretty much fully loaded

2. # ADS
    ADS

CMD
    Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

Status
    There are dedicated forums for the satnav's. The satnav we bought for the Polow had issues very similar, at first we were thinking we bought a duff satnav but the forum members were a great help. VWnavi.com
    AUDI A4 190T S-LINE.

WWW.PR-DETAILING.CO.UK CERTIFIED DETAILERS

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by L7AUDI View Post
    twat
    careful, the swearing police will get you, just like they got me. 5-8 year olds use this site too you know..........

Status
    Steady, I appreciate you're not going to agree with everything you read on here but try and keep it civil please.
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

5th Gear

Status
    I have the audi MMi full sat-nav / bose etc in my A4 but the twat nav disc seems to have bio degraded or something as it's now unreadable, any pointers for a newer version disc that doesn't involve spending more than a garmin costs new

I don't mind gracing someone with a drink if they have a working copy or can copy me one
    First thing to point out is that a B6 won't have MMI, it will have either a CD based RNS-D or a DVD based RNS-E - which need different map discs. So you need to identify what sat nav you have...

Second thing is that if it is an RNS-E then using copied map DVDs is a seriously bad idea as they are harder to read which causes the laser to overheat and fail prematurely, so best use only genuine pressed DVDs.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

BahnStormer

Status
    I have the audi MMi full sat-nav / bose etc in my A4
    Not MMI unless you spent about £3k retro-fitting it very recently... and even then it's a BIG job! Far more likely a RNS-E, possibly even a RNS-D! What might be confsuing you is if you've bought it 2nd hand, lots of people put "MMI" splash screens on hacked RNS-E's, but it's much the same as putting an RS4 badge on a 1.9TDI.... it looks very nice, possibly even a bit smarter, but everybody can still still see the tailpipes and hear the lumpy 4-pot at tickover. If the disc has just "degraded", have you tried taking it back to Audi? I was running a copied disc for a few years on mine without probs, but I was getting nervous with the horror stories of peopel trashing their RNS-E's, so I stumped up for the real thing in the end... Problem is Audi only sell them in the full E + W Europe packs (those £70 Tom Toms are usually UK only)... If you still want to go the "copy" route, be warned that they are a nightmare to copy (go look on some satnav forums with less fear of lawyers), but you'll need very specific discs to write to, a specific type of DVD writer to write the lead-in and lead-out in a particular way (the one site had a list of Philips models that had the right attributes) and very speciifc software. I was nervous about damaging / losing my new, original discs, so when I was building a new PC, I bought the required model of DVDRW and followed some of the instructions on those sites that tell you how to make a backup of you software (fully aware that I was one of the few GENUINELY using their instructions to amke a backup of my own original DVD) and I failed, dismally and repeatedly... in the end I figured the biggest risk to my new DVD was if I accidentally drop-kicked it across my drive loading and unloading while trying to make a backup that I would only ever need if I drop-kicked it across my drive... it stays in the car now.
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

Neutral

Status
    Right first off sorry for the "bad" word but that's what I've always called sat-nav lol

The reason i call it MMI is this is what I have in my car;

and this is in my book and comes up on my screen??

So basically whatever it is that I have in my car I still need a new disc, I appreciate the advice guy's and I won't be putting a copy disc in as it can obviously cause problems.....any pointers to a newer version disc that won't break the bank! TIA

Neutral

Status
    Wow my car really is dirty can't decide whether to sell or clean it lol

Status
    Wow my car really is dirty can't decide whether to sell or clean it lol
    Get in gear and get out there and clean it, lol.

5th Gear

Status
    and this is in my book and comes up on my screen??

It says MMI on the RNS-E because of an utterly idiotic decision by a demented Marketing person at Audi who was smoking something they shouldn't have been.

As a moderator on audiforum.us I know of several hundred Audi owners with an RNS-E who have bought MMI map DVDs at a cost of around £200 each, and found they are totally useless to them.

So that decision has cost owners in excess of £200,000 - if I meet the person who decided to make the RNS-E show MMI on it's start-up screen I will not be responsible for my actions!
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

Neutral

Status
    so I have an RNS-E? whats the difference between that and a D? or even an MMI!

BahnStormer

Status
    You 100% have an RNS-E... MMI splash screen is misleading... I had an S4 splash screen for a while and an "S-Line" one too, but I think mine is back at the default now (MMI., apparently).... RNS-D = old CD-based sat nav system, 4:3 smaller screen, dials and buttons each side of the screen: RNS-E = 2004(ish) onwards, DVD based, 2 x SD (not SDHC) card readers. MMI = the newer multimedia systems, often HDD based, better phone / internet integration, etc. RNS-E alternatives: there are later model RNS-E's for the TT's and SEAT's and that are 100% compatible, but with the "LED" screens also support SDHC cards up to 32Gb and a few other relatively minor tweaks, usually they have "chrome" dials, but peopel often swap those back to OEM if they upgrade.
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

3rd Gear

Status
    I would cut that picture out & stick it over the dirty one