MMI

L7AUDI

Reaction score
Website
www.finkprint.co.uk
I have the audi MMi full sat-nav / bose etc in my A4 but the **** nav disc seems to have bio degraded or something as it's now unreadable, any pointers for a newer version disc that doesn't involve spending more than a garmin costs new :slapped:

I don't mind gracing someone with a drink if they have a working copy or can copy me one :think:

There are dedicated forums for the satnav's. The satnav we bought for the Polow had issues very similar, at first we were thinking we bought a duff satnav but the forum members were a great help. VWnavi.com

Steady, I appreciate you're not going to agree with everything you read on here but try and keep it civil please.

I have the audi MMi full sat-nav / bose etc in my A4 but the **** nav disc seems to have bio degraded or something as it's now unreadable, any pointers for a newer version disc that doesn't involve spending more than a garmin costs new :slapped:

I don't mind gracing someone with a drink if they have a working copy or can copy me one :think:
First thing to point out is that a B6 won't have MMI, it will have either a CD based RNS-D or a DVD based RNS-E - which need different map discs. So you need to identify what sat nav you have...

Second thing is that if it is an RNS-E then using copied map DVDs is a seriously bad idea as they are harder to read which causes the laser to overheat and fail prematurely, so best use only genuine pressed DVDs.

I have the audi MMi full sat-nav / bose etc in my A4
Not MMI unless you spent about £3k retro-fitting it very recently... and even then it's a BIG job! Far more likely a RNS-E, possibly even a RNS-D! What might be confsuing you is if you've bought it 2nd hand, lots of people put "MMI" splash screens on hacked RNS-E's, but it's much the same as putting an RS4 badge on a 1.9TDI.... it looks very nice, possibly even a bit smarter, but everybody can still still see the tailpipes and hear the lumpy 4-pot at tickover. If the disc has just "degraded", have you tried taking it back to Audi? I was running a copied disc for a few years on mine without probs, but I was getting nervous with the horror stories of peopel trashing their RNS-E's, so I stumped up for the real thing in the end... Problem is Audi only sell them in the full E + W Europe packs (those £70 Tom Toms are usually UK only)... If you still want to go the "copy" route, be warned that they are a nightmare to copy (go look on some satnav forums with less fear of lawyers), but you'll need very specific discs to write to, a specific type of DVD writer to write the lead-in and lead-out in a particular way (the one site had a list of Philips models that had the right attributes) and very speciifc software. I was nervous about damaging / losing my new, original discs, so when I was building a new PC, I bought the required model of DVDRW and followed some of the instructions on those sites that tell you how to make a backup of you software (fully aware that I was one of the few GENUINELY using their instructions to amke a backup of my own original DVD) and I failed, dismally and repeatedly... in the end I figured the biggest risk to my new DVD was if I accidentally drop-kicked it across my drive loading and unloading while trying to make a backup that I would only ever need if I drop-kicked it across my drive... it stays in the car now.

Right first off sorry for the "bad" word but that's what I've always called sat-nav lol :slap:

The reason i call it MMI is this is what I have in my car;

2012-03-29_09-23-40_992.jpg

2012-03-29_09-24-25_62.jpg

and this is in my book and comes up on my screen??

2012-03-31_10-34-20_515.jpg

So basically whatever it is that I have in my car I still need a new disc, I appreciate the advice guy's and I won't be putting a copy disc in as it can obviously cause problems.....any pointers to a newer version disc that won't break the bank! TIA

and this is in my book and comes up on my screen??

2012-03-31_10-34-20_515.jpg
It says MMI on the RNS-E because of an utterly idiotic decision by a demented Marketing person at Audi who was smoking something they shouldn't have been.

As a moderator on audiforum.us I know of several hundred Audi owners with an RNS-E who have bought MMI map DVDs at a cost of around £200 each, and found they are totally useless to them.

So that decision has cost owners in excess of £200,000 - if I meet the person who decided to make the RNS-E show MMI on it's start-up screen I will not be responsible for my actions!

You 100% have an RNS-E... MMI splash screen is misleading... I had an S4 splash screen for a while and an "S-Line" one too, but I think mine is back at the default now (MMI., apparently).... RNS-D = old CD-based sat nav system, 4:3 smaller screen, dials and buttons each side of the screen:
rnsd.jpg
RNS-E = 2004(ish) onwards, DVD based, 2 x SD (not SDHC) card readers. MMI = the newer multimedia systems, often HDD based, better phone / internet integration, etc. RNS-E alternatives: there are later model RNS-E's for the TT's and SEAT's and that are 100% compatible, but with the "LED" screens also support SDHC cards up to 32Gb and a few other relatively minor tweaks, usually they have "chrome" dials, but peopel often swap those back to OEM if they upgrade.