Volks AutosChris Nott
    gonna getcha

Status
    somewhere where the the speed limit is over 150mph.

what is the best way to remove.LONG CALIPER BOLTS ON THE REAR OF AN AVANT??

Nice weekend, sun out, rear pads and discs have been in my garage for a little while. so far good. intentions to change rear brakes on my a4 b6 avant. tried to remove those allen key long bolts to remove the pad carrier as i want to change the discs. bad intensions could not budge them any ideas? cheers neil....

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    loads of wd40 or heat them up with a heat gun

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    i used an allen socket and breaker bar, all came out easily
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

5th Gear

Status
    copper hammer also and a bit of a knock on the head may just loosen things up also with heat
    A4 TDI 130 SPORT..
    now sold but still in the family, gone back in time to the cupra R again..

T0m
    2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by swarcup View Post
    i used an allen socket and breaker bar, all came out easily
    Im with swarcup on that one you can buy an allen key with an extension arm works a treat!

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    take it to a garage

1st Gear

Status
    Im sure you can do the discs without removing the carriers, have done lots like this, it is tight but it can be done, or in the above case struggle a bit and then you can get them out, lack of room is the problem.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattro tony View Post
    Im sure you can do the discs without removing the carriers, have done lots like this, it is tight but it can be done, or in the above case struggle a bit and then you can get them out, lack of room is the problem.
    he needs to remove the calipers and i think he is on about the two bolts that hold the brake caliper and brake pads in order to change them. Try putting **** loads of pepsi on it. Don't round off the bolts because youll be in trouble. You dont need to unscrew anything else to take the brake disk off ( well at least on the salon)

2nd Gear

Status
    When I did mine last year- The old discs came out without needing to remove the Carrier ( as they were very thin) but the new discs just did not want to slip in, the 7mm Hex bolt on the top of the Carrier was rounded, so the only way I could get this bolt out was to buy Irwin Bolt Grip, the 16mm socket in the set fitted over the Hex bolt ( had to bang it on using a Claw hammer - Side on) then I was able to use my 3/8 ratchet to get it out, then used a rubber mallet to knock the carrier out of the way enough to get the new disc on!
    Also purchased some new Hex bolts from Audi ( part no: N 910 587 02) just bought the top bolts & only cost about £2

3rd Gear

Status
    Lots of heat and WD40 worked for me........
    03MY 52 reg 1.9 TDi 130PS Quattro Sport Avant - 170bhp remap, RNS-E+OEM bluetooth, B7 wiper arms/blades, 4300K HID+nightbreakers/LED sidelights, rear tints, new lights all round, new front/rear screens, frt armrest, s-line kit, cruise/DIS, B7 gearknob/aluminium trims, parking sensors, black grilles, RS4 RARB, S4 front end, black 18" RS6 alloys

Still waiting..... S4 rear bumper, exhaust tips, coilovers, leather recaro's.... phew...

T0m
    2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dolcevita4 View Post
    he needs to remove the calipers and i think he is on about the two bolts that hold the brake caliper and brake pads in order to change them. Try putting **** loads of pepsi on it. Don't round off the bolts because youll be in trouble. You dont need to unscrew anything else to take the brake disk off ( well at least on the salon)

Im with you now I had to change mine earlier in the year couldnt budge them so unfortunatly it was the garage for me :-( no matter how much I tried to get the discs off without taking the bracket off it was no good, cost me a new caliper as well as it was shot!!

Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

Status
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    the disks just come out with a whack of a mallet mate, new ones slip back in,