RNS-D to RNS-E...Again

cobraBLACK

Chocolate? It's doo-doo, baby!
Reaction score
I've bought an RNS-E for my S4 but I want to make sure I'm getting the right cables.

I considered an eBay special but I'm worried it'll be a waste of money if it isn't compatible with my CD changer and Bose sub and amp.

On the other hand, Kufatec do an RNS-D to RNS-E upgrade kit, although £70 + shipping is way overpriced.

Doe anyone have a recommendation please?

Ah, see the couple I found were in the vehicle parts section. I didn't think I'd need to look in 'consumer electronics'.

Do you know if that'll cover everything? I keep hearing about this 'Bose wire'.

OK, I gave it a go and I got the thing powered up.

Only radio though. I didn't try an SD card but it didn't recognise the CD changer. I have a 'C' model so I might need to buy a 'D' model.

I was left with one old connector with no home. Does anyone know what it's for?

spare_plug.jpg

There was a similar sized 32-pin socket in the back of the RNS-E but it didn't seem to fit (although I might have had the lock handle in the wrong position).

The only other concern is Bose - I can see an empty Bose pin hole on adapter harness I got from eBay but I don't know where it would be coming from in the car's wiring.

That 26 pin connector carries the CAN-BUS-L(26) & H(13) signals and a few others - this connector is unique to the RNS-D unit.
Here is a link to wiring from RNS-D to RNS-E.

CD may not work if you have not coded the RNS-E to tell it to look for the respective add-on units. Look here for coding information.

That 26 pin connector carries the CAN-BUS-L(26) & H(13) signals and a few others - this connector is unique to the RNS-D unit.
Here is a link to wiring from RNS-D to RNS-E.

CD may not work if you have not coded the RNS-E to tell it to look for the respective add-on units. Look here for coding information.

That's very interesting.

I'm still perplexed about the Bose wiring though - I've no idea what I need to do.

Is that table saying I have to ground RNS-E pin B/7 and vehicle pin 10, then connect RNS-E pin D/14 to a 'large brown single-pin connector'?

I've been told the changer doesn't need coding but I was gonna get it checked anyway.

Perhaps with the use of SD cards there will be no need for a CD changer anyway but it would be nice to have it working without having to spend any extra money.

RNS-E D/14 can stay disconnected - it is on my loom. (I went from Concert II to RNS-E). My alarm works fine and I get no errors on scanning.

RNS-E pin B/7 to Connector III/Pin 1 - (this can also stay disconnected and the Bose will still work if all the other connections are made for pre-amp signals and amp power on etc.). I have got a feeling that my loom did not have this wire added as it was non-Bose - I recall adding two pre-amp wires signal. I have full control of Bass/Treble etc. on the RNS-E. My RNS-E is software coded to tell it I have BOSE - my coding is 0309752 have TV input and Aux input and BT phone - the 9 tells it I have Bose, changing this to 1 would be a non-Bose set-up. I have no external CDC.

You can purchase repair wires from Audi and insert missing ones into the plug housings. I was sold a non-Bose adaptor loom by mistake, and added them to make it work, i.e. added the Rear pre-amp signals for the Bose amp - 2 wires, (LR & RR). All repair wires can be identified here.

CD Changer may or not need coding, but if it is not working suggest you check all wiring for it - can you eject and insert CD's?
Can you see the CDC option in the source menu?
Not using a CDC myself as utilised Video input for i-pod sound and video.
There is a lot that needs to be checked for 100% correct coding and adaption - including getting instruments unit (Module 17) recoded to show Nav instructions, etc.
It all depends on what the donor vehicle had fitted and what this RNS-E was matched too.

Oh, OK.

I saw that reference in one of your other posts:

RNS-E Coding is required......

Coding

• 0?xxxxx: Model
    • 1 = Lamborghini
    • 2 = Audi A3 (8P)
    • 3 = Audi A4 (8E)
    • 4 = Audi A4 Cabriolet (8H)
    • 5 = Audi A6 (4B)
    • 6 = Audi TT (8J)
    • 7 = Audi R8 (42)
  • 0x?xxxx: Treble Speaker Monitoring inactive
    • 0 = Front Treble Speaker Monitoring inactive active (NOT Audi A4 Cabriolet)
    • 1 = Front Treble Speaker Monitoring inactive inactive (ONLY Audi A4 Cabriolet)
  • 0xx?xxx: Sound Characteristic...

Can you tell me what the red bit means please?

Also, what does this mean?

Channel 007: Options
Channel 008: Volume Characteristic

I went down and put the RNS-E back in and I left it installed this time since the SD cards work fine and the sub/amp is working.

As for the changer, it powers up and I can eject/load discs but it's not a source option on the RNS-E.

I'll pop into my garage next week and get them to code it properly.

There is another unidentified connector. The black bit of plastic swivels around to keep it in place:

rns-d_mystery1.jpg

Here's the unplugged connector:

rns-d_mystery2.jpg

Oh, OK.

Can you tell me what the red bit means please?

Also, what does this mean?

Text you highlighted in red - Not sure, but by explanation you set to 0 for Saloon or Avant and 1 if Cabriolet.

refers to settings stored from within RNS-E settings menu,
+01: Distance in miles
+02: Speed in mph
+04: Time in am/pm
+08: Date in MM:TT;JJJJ
+16: Repeat Voice Commands
not necessary to set this with VCDS - just use the RNS-E menu to set.

refers to GALA setting as follows,
000: Speed dependent volume control (GALA) OFF
001: Characteristic 1
002:
003:
004:
005: Characteristic 5
255: GALA via Mic (Bose AudioPilot)
Set this to 255 if you have the new MIC activated BOSE (post 2004), otherwise selectable via RNS-E menus

Thanks.

255: GALA via Mic (Bose AudioPilot)
Set this to 255 if you have the new MIC activated BOSE (post 2004), otherwise selectable via RNS-E menus

Is that where the volume changes with road noise? Mine does that. The registration date on mine is January 2004.