Reverse light switch how to??

Gstar51

Reaction score
Got my reverse light switch today, anyone got any how to guides for my A4 b6 6 speed manual? Or shall I just buy a Haynes manual ??

Cheers for that Sandra, lots of useful info on there, but not what I'm looking for.
Ill pick up a Haynes manual on the way home from work.

Cheers for that Sandra, lots of useful info on there, but not what I'm looking for.
Ill pick up a Haynes manual on the way home from work.

I will move this thread into a4 section see if any boys can help out before you buy the manual. :)

I'm not aware of a how to for this.

Now's your opportunity :icon_thumright:

yep get in there and take some nice pickys

could you take a picture of the switch? it might jog my memory of where it fits.

Got the Haynes coming on mon. Replacement thread coming soon with pics.

Hi did this ever get a guide or can you advise me where the switch is located and how it was to do cheers Pete

Thanks glad to hear its not a bad job hopefully get the part this week and get it sorted

You could always do a 'how to' with some pics to help subsequent users in your situation ;)

You sure it's the switch and not broken wires at the plug end as that is a common fault with VAG cars

Sorry what do you mean by plug end actually at the lights or the plug to, the switch il check that first not had chance to order switch yet anyway.

The plug at the switch end.

The vibrations and engine movement over time break the wire internally really close to the pins in the plug and an early sign is flickering reverse lights when revving the engine.

It's actually quite rare to have a broken reverse light switch as the mentioned wires a the main culprit.

Aaa thanks for that might get a chance to look tommorow would I be able to see it just from jacking the car up or should I borrow some ramps cheers mj

James if I do sort it il do a little write up so people know where it is and if it's the wires or the switch itself

Anyone know if I could get to it just by jacking th car up as I might tackle this tomorrow if rain holds off.

Should be able to mate, but use axle stands...........small ramps would be better if you have access to them.

The switch is located on the passenger side right above and about 2 inches behind your inner CV joint.

DSCN1515.jpg

It may vary slightly from gear box code, but gives you a rough idea of location.

Still can't find it feel a right thicko keep asking I've looked all around passenger side could it be on the driver side for some reason mine is not a Quattro if that makes a difference

Still can't find it feel a right thicko keep asking I've looked all around passenger side could it be on the driver side for some reason mine is not a Quattro if that makes a difference

I know this is an old post but needed this info myself the other day so here goes:

On my one (A4 B6 1.9Tdi 2003) the switch is accessible from the driver's side. (I've got a feeling that the pics earlier in this thread may be taken from another thread on different forum which I believe features a left hand drive car as the position of the fuse box appears to be a mirror image of mine). Therefore the reference to passenger side above might not be correct? I appreciate it may differ depending on what gearbox is installed.

Anyway, on my car I needed to remove the airbox. Then stuck me head in the gap and peered as far back as I could (as per pic below).

The switch is a nightmare to access and I couldn't get a screwdriver in there to unclip the wiring. In the end I taped an allen key to my thumb so that I could hook it onto the plastic clip once I'd stuffed my right arm all the way into the engine bay. Got the clip off and that solved the problem of the reverse lights staying on. However, it does leave you with no reverse lights at all!

Not sure how the hell to get the actual switch unbolted from the block. Its a nightmare getting any tools in that far. Probably easier just to fit your own microswitch to the actual gear lever and wire it in to the electrics!! Not, perhaps, what your local Audi technician would recommend though.

Anyway it started raining and was getting dark so I've given up trying to get the switch out. If anyone has any suggestions... that don't involve dropping the box out or removing the exhaust manifold... then please let me know. : )

I ended up taking mine to a local garage in the end and your right about them pics it was opposite side

Mine too was on the drivers side! 1.9tdi quattro. 2004.
Changed it recently. I found it easiest to get at it from underneath having removed the rear under tray. You'll need a large spanner, I think something like 22 or 23mm.
My switch had a broken return spring, so the reversing lights just stayed on.
There are a couple of different switches so double check you have the correct one. Mine was also listed against RS4's and R8's but was the same part as mine.
I used Audi PN 01E941521B. This is a two pin connector with long connector body. ETOS listed 01E941521A against my car but they are both the same part.

Tom.

Bumping up an old thread!!!

ive got the same issue now in the sense that my reverse lights stay on when driving..

Ive got a B7 A4 3.0 quattro with the 6 speed manual - can anyone please tell me the part number for reverse switch please!!!

Cheers

Old thread I know, but I can probably help clear up a lot of misinformation

Firstly, on a UK car, it's on the drivers side of the gearbox. Just above where the driveshaft sits.

Secondly, IT'S A REALLY EASY JOB

It took me literally five minutes, including jacking the car up. Go from underneath! It's really accessible, you've got all the room you could possibly want. It's a 22m spanner, plus a little pick to undo the electrical connector. Simple.

I hope this helps / reassures some random person in the future!