Avant v's Saloon??

L7AUDI

Reaction score
Website
www.finkprint.co.uk
Here's the crux I have the avant and I can't make up my mind whether to sell or not, now I fancy a 1.8t saloon quattro for a change but I also like to drive to the Alp's to go snowboarding so how much can you get in a saloon boot compared to an avant? I know I can pile it in to the roof in the avant but are saloon boot's any deeper :0/

I could probably fit loads in mine if it wasn't for folding rear seats not being standard. The numpty who bought mine new obviously never planned on going to IKEA.

If you are looking for a saloon and want to cart stuff around, definitely check the rears fold. I stupidly assumed they were a standard feature as my B5 A4 had them and never bothered to check. Still does my head in on almost a weekly bases.

I had an estate (albeit not an Audi) before having my B6 saloon. I really miss it for the practical side of things. If I were in the market for another car I would have no hesitation in buying the Avant over the saloon. In fact sometimes I wish I'd have waited for an Avant to come along when I had this one....

Boredom strikes huh.

My avant is the first estate car I've owned and whilst it's practical it is annoying to hear stuff sliding and rattling around in the boot if it's not all neatly secured but otherwise the versatility side of things and the looks are brill. I reckon you'll miss it especially if you go off snowboarding lugging all you gear etc.

In terms of split fold seats on a saloon I think it was daft not to be standard and I think I remember it being costly so not massively common. Shame.

You can get an oem luggage net for < £20 I think.

Is that for me James?

Got one, I work from the car and the amount of gear I carry won't fit under it, got bungee cords and all that jazz to keep things together though.

Split folding was near £300 on the Saloon. ****** ridiculous. Someone on here has retrofitted it and it didn't look too hard to do.

The saloon boot is huge, when friends see it they are shocked at the size (and the fact that if you're taller then 5'6" you can't see where the boot meets the back seats it's so deep). The thing that lets it down is its small opening.

Saloon boot, with ski-bag / through load:

Angus-20110326-00075.jpg

With split fold rear seats:

Angus-20110322-00058.jpg

Angus-20110322-00059.jpg

Angus-20110322-00057.jpg

Looking for a 1.9TDI Quattro avant if you fancy doing a deal, lol.

I could probably fit loads in mine if it wasn't for folding rear seats not being standard. The numpty who bought mine new obviously never planned on going to IKEA.

If you are looking for a saloon and want to cart stuff around, definitely check the rears fold. I stupidly assumed they were a standard feature as my B5 A4 had them and never bothered to check. Still does my head in on almost a weekly bases.

+1 took it as standard mine were folding too...until I went to use them!! !"£$%^&

ive not read all the replys but my 2p's worth says this, Horses for corses and estate cars will get more in them, so if you need to get your stuff around and it wont fit in a saloon then stick with the beast that you know does, i personally love estate cars for what they can do but i own a saloon for the way they look,

So on that note, i will leg it before i get whacked by the stick! :asskicking:

i find the boot a good size on the salons mine dont have the split and fold rear seats but you can still get a lot of stuff in them :hi:

10029_151359406956_720136956_3267282_4368452_n.jpg

Thanks for all the info and pic's peoples, I reckon trying to find a saloon with a ski hatch is going to be more miss than hit especially with all the other must haves on my list....so I reckon for now I'll stick with my avant as I have known it for so long lol, unless thats a straight swap on the S4 :respekt:

Thanks for all the info and pic's peoples, I reckon trying to find a saloon with a ski hatch is going to be more miss than hit especially with all the other must haves on my list....so I reckon for now I'll stick with my avant as I have known it for so long lol, unless thats a straight swap on the S4 :respekt:

Well, that would depend on the details on the A4. Its not outwith a possibility, lol.

Ha ha. Funny you should mention that.

IMAG0413.jpg

However, a more realistic is:

IMAG0365.jpg

On a tangent, even it's in it's bag my 162 snowboard fits in my Avant with room to spare either end.

I had a Ford Kuga the other day (not through choice) as a hire car to get me to the airport, and I had to have my board on the diagonal.

Also I had a frikkin vauxhall corsa on the way back from the airport and I had to fold the front seat down too!

Moral of the story: Don't have a Ford or a Vauxhall.

Do you mean with the seats down or in the boot alone!
On a tangent, even it's in it's bag my 162 snowboard fits in my Avant with room to spare either end.

I had a Ford Kuga the other day (not through choice) as a hire car to get me to the airport, and I had to have my board on the diagonal.

Also I had a frikkin vauxhall corsa on the way back from the airport and I had to fold the front seat down too!

Moral of the story: Don't have a Ford or a Vauxhall.

Do you mean with the seats down or in the boot alone!

Back seats down. a 162 snowboard is 162cm long - about 5 ft 3 in.

Having slated the Kuga though to be fair I did used to sleep in the back of my Sierra Estate when I was living in Cornwall and surfing most days! I could lay out straight and I'm 6 ft 1 in. I doubt could do the same in the Avant.

Then again I'm a grown up now, I don't surf that often, and I can afford to stay in a hotel so I don't need to.