Serious problem with engine AVJ

sebastiannn

Reaction score
I would be very gratefull if you could help me please.My audi 1.8 turbo 2001 b6 engine code started getting oil light on occasionaly.It was coming off and on sometimes also with some strange metalic noise from engine I think top of cylinder heads.I got oil pump changed but didnt help at all.When coming back from mechanic engine management light started flashing,noise got louder,breaks nearly gone and engine lost power.Got home finally but .. when I start it now it shaking very badly,oil light on, lack of power.Has the engine gone now? If I have to change to another one can I put of another code without any problems as AVJ are very expensive ... Which code is nearly the same. Is APU ok ? Please advice ....Is it ok to just change the block of engine without the cylinder head or have to do everything?Thank s

Last edited:
Sorry to hear all this, it sounds like a whole heap of trouble!

First off, is it a well known garage to you? Did they do all the work they said they would? My first port of call would be them. Ask them to recover your car and have a look at it as the problem remains.

Second, you could be really unlucky and have a faulty coil pack. It does feel like the world is about to end regarding your engine when one of those goes.

But, if you're getting an oil light as well, it would suggest low oil pressure if it's a red oil can symbol, and this would seem to be backed up by the metallic noise which is the head gear being starved of oil.

As I say, get the garage to look at it if they're trustworthy. If not, get it to another garage.

If it's the worst case scenario, then AVJ engines are pretty scarce and expensive but the easiest one to swap out as all the ancillaries will still fit. Failing that, I understand any 1.8t from a longitudinal installation should fit with a bit of fiddling, so look out for ones from a Passat as well as A4 lumps.

Good luck!

Thanks Tooks.. It is fuc... difficult to get cheap AVJ. Checked oil pressure ,when it was cold was about 2 mbr ,but when warmer nearly 0 mbr. Does anyone know if APU will replace AVJ without any problems?

did the garage actually check the oil pressure before and after fitting the new oil pump? did they replace the strainer/pick up pipe too?

id get the car recovered back to the garage.

The oil pressure was checked after fitting new oil pump...Nothing else was replaced... Need to find out now if can fit engine APU?

ah so there is no oil pressure.
you need to find out if the garage replaced the strainer/pick up aswell as the pump.

when the pick up gets blocked with carbon deposits it stops the pump picking up oil from the sump to pump around the engine. bet this was the original fault and theyve swapped the blocked pick up onto the new pump!

Just rang guy who was doing car ,pick up was blocked when it was taken out but was completly cleaned out before putting back in...:(

completely cleaned out? well if thats what he said he did, then he did.

at work we had a x plate a6 1.8t in. same as yours with the pick up blocked. guy said he had done 5-6ish miles in it with the oil light on! he even drove it to the garage!!! we told him in all likelyness the engine was toast but it was worth fitting a pump and trying it.
anyway, i changed the pump and fitted a new pick up. checked a main and a big end bearing for wear while the sump was off, and they looked okish.
after start up it had good oil pressure straight away (60 odd psi at idle). but it sounded really gash, it took 15 odd minutes for the tappets to refill and quiten down. hot idle it had around 25psi.
that was well over a month ago now, maybe 2.

never swapped these specific engine codes before. done a couple of "aeb" swaps in early a4s, "ary" swaps and a few "bam" engines on tts, and a "apy" s3 in my time.
but reguarding the apu/avj thing. theyre both 150 non vvt engines. but there might be slight differences in breather pipes/egr system/inlet etc. nothing i dont think* you couldnt get around.

* to the best of my knowledge lol!

Sounds like the oil pick up strainer is blocked. It's cheap to replace & well worth getting done before you start thinking about a new engine.