Chrome window trim fading?

The911SC

Reaction score
Got my S4 today and the chrome trime around the windows (Which I didnt spec on my A4 !) is going kind of opaque and non shiny underneath the windows.
Anyone else seen this. The car is March 04 so its not that old...

Chrome naturally oxidizes, I have to polish mine at least once a year, usually after the first polish it shouldnt stain as quick

Thanks Mike; what do you use; I tried using swissol cleaner but it seems quite stained in places.
Since this is plastic, I am guessing you cant use anything too abrhasive?

My missus bought some car chrome cleaner by accident and I use that (car plan) which is creamy like car polish and doesnt scratch, then I go over it with MER car polish, works a treat M8!

I had the same problem on my avant the dealer says it is because of car wash chemicals and very common. I purchased my car at 10 months old and two of the driver side strips were badly faded no amount of polishing helped -the previous owner had it washed at a local garage .Dealer replaced them under warranty now it only gets handwashed with autoglym car shampoo and no more problems. The door frame needs dismantled to replace the trims.
good luck ivor

Thanks all,
Think I will go the warranty route since I only just bought it and I have a good relationship with my dealership...
Think that they may be a little bit beyond polishing

you have two nice cars there ! When i had mine replaced the dealership said they had problems transporting the aluminium strips safely and had rearranged dates for the work , check also that all the other trim is replaced neatly i had to go back not happy with the finished job - torn rubber door seal got good discount on the next service though .

I just bought an A4 S line 57 plate from Bolton Audi, for some reason i didnt notice the fading of window chrome at the time of purchase :keule:. Now the dealer says its not covered under the warranty, they have quoted me over a grand for replacement. if i want to.
Not sure whats the best way to get it done, should i complaint?

mine are fading too. Anyone know how much the two front window trims will set me back?

Have you tired "Autosol"? It's supposed to be quite good for this sort of thing.
i havent tried any abrasive polish as the trims are plastic with chrome coating aren't they? I don't want to make them any worse by rubbing straight through the chrome as the coating alrady looks very thin