What would an overhaul of a 3.0 ASN engine entail?

Reaction score
I don't feel as bad now posting such an open question after seeing the time wasted by the special kid "Audi" on his fantasies. For the record I do own an Audi and would apprecite any advice on what may be involved in an overhaul of the engine (which I also own in real life). It feels a bit tired and sounds a bit "tappety" so I'm thinking after 125k miles it may need to be opened up and given some attention.
cheers
nj

I have to assume nobody has felt the need to do this then. Have I just run out of mods and am ready to start messing about unnecessarily? hmmm. no, I think i'm just frustrated that I can't make the car go any faster without spending so much money that I would be better just buying an S4 instead. Or a second car with a turbo :)

To be honest, unless there is something wrong then dont play about with it "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Just make sure you keep up with the servicing using a good quality fully synthetic oil.

hmmm. I do already so there's sense in what you say. I just can't help feeling it's lacking its original smoothness. but then a 10 year old car is bound to lose that a bit eh? :)

The question is - how far do you go.
Yes you could rebuild the engine - but what do you do with the other bits - gearbox.etc
To have its original smoothness then you would need to replace a lot of things - so I would live with it to be honest, you will only end up chasing your tail.

hmm. good point. so the sensible thing to do is just run my car as it is if there are no major issues and buy the left hand drive S2 coupe I have my eye on and use that as my play thing yes? Thought so.. :)

if its ok then leave well alone, get yourself a toy if you can and that way you will have more freedom to do want you want (and wont get your head kicked in when its still in bits on a sunday night!) and you dont have to rely on it as your daily

haha. sounds like I'm not the only one who has been in that position then! :)

no your certainly not and as the only other vehicle in the families ownership at the mo is a 106d she has grown somewhat weary of such childish behaviour!

jesus... there's motivation to put the Audi back together again rapidly.. same as me borrowing my mother in law's corolla 1.6 if mine is in bits. I can't say how unimpressed I was driving it on snow a month or so ago. Instead of leaving a junction apparently it has been designed to spin the wheels for a while so I had to wait for huge gaps before attempting to move. My slightly older Audi put a grin on my face the second I was back with the necessary tool to get it going again. phew!

a friend of ours had the misfortune of acquiring a corolla once and the sheer relief he experianced when the cambelt let go and bent all the valves was immense!