AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    2nd Gear

Status

I'VE HAD MY B5 SPRING PERCHES FOR 8 MONTHS, are they hard to fit ?

As above im ok with spanners i've just today done the front and rear disc's and pads on the misses A3, but i've NEVER done spring work and don't have any spring compressers..Has anybody on here fitted B5 spring perches to there B6 ?How hard are they to fit? is it a days worth of time to do them? i'd have them done @ a garage but i got a rough quote from a place i know and they said it would be about £75 a side!! and as the perches were only £40 for the pair it seems a bit much.Is there anybody near BURNLEY as in within 30/40 miles that would undertake fitting them with me (I.E i'd be your helper) i'm more than willing to pay for your time in doing them its just garage prices seem so high for such a cheap part.Thanks for any advice / help......
    A4 TDI SPORT with full leather and thats it as standard.Fitted by me.Remap,S-LINE BADGES.S4 Wing mirrors.DIS,Seat Cupra splitter.Rear parking sensors.5k hids+LED side lights+DRL lights+chrome indicator bulbs,amber fog lights.LED Xenon number plate bulbs,upper/lower front grills+boot strip in matt black.Ipod dock.19" BMW X5 SPORT CONCAVE ALLOYS,9 J FRONT 10 J REAR 20mm hub adapters front ET 28,18mm hub adapters rear ET 27.

TO DO.B5 spring perches.Renault rear diffuser?? S/S exhaust.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Anybody fitted any???????????? or any good with sorting suspension?
    A4 TDI SPORT with full leather and thats it as standard.Fitted by me.Remap,S-LINE BADGES.S4 Wing mirrors.DIS,Seat Cupra splitter.Rear parking sensors.5k hids+LED side lights+DRL lights+chrome indicator bulbs,amber fog lights.LED Xenon number plate bulbs,upper/lower front grills+boot strip in matt black.Ipod dock.19" BMW X5 SPORT CONCAVE ALLOYS,9 J FRONT 10 J REAR 20mm hub adapters front ET 28,18mm hub adapters rear ET 27.

Need a V8 or Bi-Turbo.......

Status
    Are you sure that the B5 springs are compatible with the B6?

1st Gear

Status
    B5 springs are not compatible with B6

B6 1,9TDI AVF SPORT QUATTRO AVANT

Mods:RNS-e sat nav,Bluetooth,Rear camera,Full led interior/exterior,Cobra PCD,S4 B5 front brakes,S line body kit+S4 door blades,S line gear knob,RS4 B7 handbrake,RS6 wheels,EGR deleted,cruise control,custom leather & alcantara seats,tinted windows,A4 B7 arms & wiper blades,BV43 turbo,FMIC,custom remap(around 200hp and 368lb/ft tourque)

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The perches are though, and will drop the car about 15mm.

You need to remove the spring/damper assembly from the car, which involves undoing the upper pinch bolt, which can be an absolute nightmare of a job.

Once removed, you need to compress the spring, undo the top mount, then remove the spring from the shock.

Then you can knock the old spring platform off with a mallet or similar, then fit the B5 one and reassemble.

Its certainly not a job i'd suggest someone tackles as their first real foray into car mechanics, especially as the pinch bolt can be seriously awkward and could even cause a garage hours of headaches.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    avoid the pich bolt and leave it to a garage, speaking from experience. Took me a full day to get one bolt out. Truly an absolute *******
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Agreed.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

2nd Gear

Status
    This pinch bolt sounds a nitemare to do and its not the first time i've read about how hard they are to get out.

Thats why i didnt want to undertake it on my own, but from what i've read i dont think many others are keen to have a go either, maybe thats why garages have quoted me high prices eh....

1st Gear

Status
    yes the pinch bolt is a real F....ker tryed for around 1/2 hour and gave up...
    so i had to undo the two arms holding the damper right in the top of the front arches
    and undo it like that ..a job made 2 times longer ,but i done it ..

good luck old boy...
    Quattro Jam B12 suspension kit ,Custom Droplinks F/B , HID 6000, 18" RS4 Alloys, summer AMG's .
    RS6 for Show's .Cat gone for walkees, sports six padded clutch DMF
    Remapped 173BHP///278lbft, RS4 F/R ARB's , happy with that ........

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pink.teg View Post
    so i had to undo the two arms holding the damper right in the top of the front arches

good luck old boy...
    Gulp...... looks like im going to have to take it to a garage then, i mite get new spring fitted @ the same time since both front suspension struts are gunna be in bits...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pink.teg View Post

good luck old boy...
    That was how I was gong to do mine. I figure it's easier to undo those two than risking the pinch bolts. Although I do have 2 pinch bolts that I'm collecting from ECP tomorrow....

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    The perches are though, and will drop the car about 15mm.

You need to remove the spring/damper assembly from the car, which involves undoing the upper pinch bolt, which can be an absolute nightmare of a job.

Once removed, you need to compress the spring, undo the top mount, then remove the spring from the shock.

Then you can knock the old spring platform off with a mallet or similar, then fit the B5 one and reassemble.

Its certainly not a job i'd suggest someone tackles as their first real foray into car mechanics, especially as the pinch bolt can be seriously awkward and could even cause a garage hours of headaches.
    By "perches" do we mean top mounts? or is it something completely different?

I'm not totally au fait with the terminology....

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    By "perches" do we mean top mounts? or is it something completely different?

I'm not totally au fait with the terminology....
    The perches are like a flat-ish cup that the springs sit on there about halfway up the strut, imagine a plate but with the edges curled up and a rised lump in the middle with a hole in the centre that the strut shaft goes through...

Im gutted that to get a £40.00 part fitted is going to cost the best part of £150.00!!! they mite well be sitting in my draw awhile longer yet...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Anyone fancy fitting some of these for me?
    And where have your sourced your spring perches from?
    Thanks Owen - pm me

2nd Gear

Status
    Anyone got any part numbers for these items. I have this on my list to be done and seeing as I am going to have some control arms swapped out I might as well do it next service.

Audi S4 quattro in Dolphin Grey Metallic, Silver leather, carbon inlays, RNS-E, 6 speed manual, electrically adjustable & heated seats, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, storage pack, 18" OEM RS4 wheels, RS4 ARB, LED lighting upgrade, FASH plus every bill since new.

Reverse Gear

Status
    8D0412103B

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by P333 RLY View Post
    8D0412103B
    Cheers, same part number for both sides and not "handed" I presume?

Audi S4 quattro in Dolphin Grey Metallic, Silver leather, carbon inlays, RNS-E, 6 speed manual, electrically adjustable & heated seats, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, storage pack, 18" OEM RS4 wheels, RS4 ARB, LED lighting upgrade, FASH plus every bill since new.

Neutral

Status
    Yes, same part number for each side - Not handed.

As everyone has said undoing the pinch bolt can be a right pain if they haven't been done before. Took me ages. Bolt head sheared off, then used the nut to pull the bolt out using washers as spacers and cutting the bolt into pieces. Unless you are confident I would give it to a garage.

The B5 perch job did make the car look more level so would recommend it.

Tom.