1.8t Oil Change and using an engine flush what do you guys think?....

T0m

Reaction score
Tis time for me to change the oil and knowing the issues with the dreaded pick up pipe I was thinking about using an engine flush this time around as an added precaution what do you guys think?

Thanks

Tom

or am I better using a cheap oil for a week then replace that with some good stuff (and another new filter) instead?

dont use flush
it dislodges the crap and blocks the pick up

dont use flush
it dislodges the crap and blocks the pick up

Thats what I was under the understanding was just doing a search on the net looking at other people/places opinions wanted to get peoples from here!

Think Im going to use a cheap oil run it for a week and replace it with good stuff just to be on the safe side.

why ?
just do the change i cant see what running crap oil, for a week then changeing again will help
apart from costing ££ and time
if its gona block it will block

Dont run crap oil as it wont lubicate / protect properly.

I considered doing an engine flush on a friends Passat 1.8T but after seeing the crud/sluge through the oil filler I decided not to for the same reasons bez101 mentioned.
I just stuck a high quality fully synthetic oil in there - you will find the good oils have additive packs that help keep things clean anyway (the bits that arent sludged up)

We now change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles - We started to notice VW had recognised the sludge issue when the filter sizes kept getting bigger and bigger when we went for them!

I always flush mine before i change the oil every 5000 miles or 6mths which ever comes first

Why not change the pipe and give the sump a good clean out?

what is a good oil for a 1.8t?

Why not change the pipe and give the sump a good clean out?

Dont want to do that fella as Ive been advised by an Audi independant that your creating a rod for your own back only contemplate changing it if there is an issue!!

wont cause any probs cleaning and replaceing the pickup pipe
god know why they said that
every 18t or 20t i get if its high on miles i change em stright away

As somebody who flushed my newly acquired 1.8t about 18 months ago, I would advise not to do it!

Mine dislodged loads of muck and it blocked the strainer within about 2 miles...

Ok, the upshot was that I needed to get the pump and strainer replaced (I stopped driving immediately and the engine was not damaged), but I'd rather not have had to do it!

A good quality oil changed every 5 or 6k will clean the engine out gradually, as well as being generally good for your engine. Oil is cheap nowadays, less than it costs to fill up with fuel!!

Spot on............ all you are doing is preventing problems and getting rid of the built up carbon which no amount of oil changes will shift

Mate spoke to Midland VW and he said basically there is no need to go messing if there is nothing wrong and advised that as we know if the warning on the dash comes on to stop and get it towed to the garage for repairs, however to just get it done for the sake of it means unsealing the sump, you have to raise the engine due to the clearances and then sealing the sump again once replaced there is a chance of it leaking if its not done correctly, not my words but that of Midland VW.

Im on 88k and always changed my oil at 10k or 1 year which ever comes first!

good old saying dont fix it unless it's broke lol.... on a serious note tom if the car as been serviced well with correct spec oil and correct times or less i wouldnt worry about using flushes or stripping down the sump, if its been treated long life then i would probo just strip it down anyhows just so you know it's done but 80 odd thou aint alot is it

good old saying dont fix it unless it's broke lol.... on a serious note tom if the car as been serviced well with correct spec oil and correct times or less i wouldnt worry about using flushes or stripping down the sump, if its been treated long life then i would probo just strip it down anyhows just so you know it's done but 80 odd thou aint alot is it

Hey Mark I agree my cars been regulary serviced every year and I took the decision to do it myself from last year so no long life servicing here!

With ref to the mileage its a funny game bought the car on 45k and its near 89k and had it 5 years this year so dont know about you but I feel is kinda getting on abit ha ha then you come on here and hear people who are on 120k plus so makes you kinda happy the mileage is not that bad if your with me?!

Right next on my list to fix, rear wiper, parking sensors and a new windscreen!!!! It never ends eh!