Joey mod headlighs

Alan H

Need a V8 or Bi-Turbo.......
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've used the search facility without much success to be honest.

Can someone explain what this mod is and if possible post a pic?

TIA,

Alan

This has been on my 'to-do' list for years!

One day I'll get a spare pair of lights to have a play with.

I would suggest using some kind of compound to dessolve the glue holding the lenses in. I used heat and it ended up damaging the manual adjustment mechanism (the feeble while cogs turned with a screwdriver).

I have been tempted by some aftermarket headlights with black inners I found on eBay but have been stalling over quality concerns and the lack of info that the seller can offer on them, I have also purchased two sets of OEM units to do this mod but both have arrived damaged and had to be returned,I'll post a link to the eBay ones tomorrow as I can't seem to do it from my phone.

Last edited:
A mate of mine has a 2.5TDi cabriolet. He has black headlights in his. Were they a factory option? Or only fitted to certain models?

Cabs have different headlights.

S4's have the black insides too.

These are the ebay ones i have found and have been considering fitting, but as said earlier the lack of info and further pictures avalible from the seller makes me a little nervous!! eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I'm not keen on aftermarket ones tbh. I would rather hang on for some cab ones. But if you fancy those ones then go for it. You'll never know unless you give them a go. But I think £150 is a lot to waste when you can pick up OEM lamps for about £30 each. You could take those apart and spray them yourself.

Cab ones are of no use to me as they won't fit, shame that! I too would much prefer the OEM route but the problem seem to be getting some delivered to me without royal mail breaking them, still patience and all that!!

Thought it was about time to shake the dust off my audi-sport account and get involved again :happy:

I joey'd my lights a few weeks ago. Each lens took me 3 hours to remove with a heat gun and pry tool. I painted the main chrome piece matte black, as per standard joey mod. Also painted the dark grey cluster matte black too, and did the chrome reflector surrounds gloss black.

While I was at it I fitted DRL-style LED strips that connect to the side-light bulb socket. Put the lenses back on with some black sealant. No glue as I want to get back in there are re-paint a couple of bits I messed up. The sealant holds them in good enough for the time being.

Once I was finished I also added smoke tint film over the lenses. In addition to the joey mod they look impossibly black during the day, but at night light output has not been affected as far as I can tell. I love 'em.

I know I've got a "pics or it didn't happen" post coming my way, but my photoshop mock-up will have to do for the time being...

DRLplan.jpg

I did this to try out different DRL configurations. This was my favourite, and the end result isn't far off. Also smoothed the licence plate recess and really liked it, so will start work on that in a few weeks. (Got a vinyl plate made up already)

Found one photo of them on at night with the HIDs...

DRLon.jpg

Last edited:
Found another photo. This was supposed to be the "before" shot, before I added the lens tint film. Was too dark for a decent "after" shot. But you get the idea.

joey-led.jpg

When I get back in there I'll be cutting off the last three LEDs so that the last one ends in the centre of the indicator, but for now I'm still really pleased with how they turned out. With the tint film over the top it finishes them off really nicely, looks proper evil - which is my kind of thing, lol.