Monster MotorsportChris Nott

Thread: Head Unit??!!

Neutral

Status

Question Head Unit??!!

Afternoon everyone im not sure if im posting in the correct part of the forum but here goes anyways,

Im looking at purchasing the Pioneer Avic F930BT for my B6 Avant but dont fancy getting ripped off by a company to install it,

I would love to have the knowledge and know how to do it myself but once its out of the box thats as far as my brain will allow me to go !!!

Is there anybody on the forum who knows what there doing and lives around the surrey area that could give me a quote (forum mates rates!)

Kind Regards

Jamie

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    It's not hard to do, if you do a search on the forum, there are some guides to show you how it's done.

5th Gear

Status
    have a look in the ICE section most of it is just plug and play, but you may need to run some speaker wires from the new headunit to the rear amp in the boot to bypass the amp so that the rear door speakers work, the colours may be wrong on the diagram of the rear amp plug (in the boot) but the pins/wires are in the same place as shown

Neutral

Status
    Problem is guys that I have the concert stereo installed (single din) and want to install a double din that is the part I don't want to try and risk doing I've been quoted to install it but think £350 is a bit steep seeing as I'm purchasing the double din from them anyways

Regards

Jamie

1st Gear

Status
    £350 for a double DIN install is a bit steep, does that include the cage etc. ? Or just labour charges?

Get in touch with index he's on the forum and can advise and give you a better quote.

3rd Gear

Status
    Double din install is pretty time consuming, entire centre console needs to come out and then the single din cage replaced with the double and then re-build.....

Took me a day first time I did it.....
    03MY 52 reg 1.9 TDi 130PS Quattro Sport Avant - 170bhp remap, RNS-E+OEM bluetooth, B7 wiper arms/blades, 4300K HID+nightbreakers/LED sidelights, rear tints, new lights all round, new front/rear screens, frt armrest, s-line kit, cruise/DIS, B7 gearknob/aluminium trims, parking sensors, black grilles, RS4 RARB, S4 front end, black 18" RS6 alloys

Still waiting..... S4 rear bumper, exhaust tips, coilovers, leather recaro's.... phew...

Neutral

Status
    £350 just labour charges I have to buy the double din casing from Audi on top of that and then I have to purchase the fascia at a cost of another £40 from installer I have no idea how much the casing from Audi will be but can't see it being any less than £70 in total I'm looking at £460 before I purchase the unit itself!!!!!

Regards

Jamie

3rd Gear

Status
    The cage is appx £40 from the dealer...... what fascia do you have to buy? when the double din unit goes in all you need to to is trim the edges of the aircon unit and the shelf under it..... think he is trying to take the piss stating it needs a fascia as well.....
    03MY 52 reg 1.9 TDi 130PS Quattro Sport Avant - 170bhp remap, RNS-E+OEM bluetooth, B7 wiper arms/blades, 4300K HID+nightbreakers/LED sidelights, rear tints, new lights all round, new front/rear screens, frt armrest, s-line kit, cruise/DIS, B7 gearknob/aluminium trims, parking sensors, black grilles, RS4 RARB, S4 front end, black 18" RS6 alloys

Still waiting..... S4 rear bumper, exhaust tips, coilovers, leather recaro's.... phew...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcalvin View Post
    The cage is appx £40 from the dealer...... what fascia do you have to buy? when the double din unit goes in all you need to to is trim the edges of the aircon unit and the shelf under it..... think he is trying to take the piss stating it needs a fascia as well.....
    Doesn't he need a fascia like this eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

or a fascia adaptor kit like this Audi A4 Double Din Car Stereo Facia Fascia Fitting Kit Panel CT23AU01 | eBay

T0m
    2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by slappy View Post
    Sorry for wading in mate, you will only need something like this if your afte rmarket unit is smaller than the Audi one!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by T0m View Post
    Sorry for wading in mate, you will only need something like this if your afte rmarket unit is smaller than the Audi one!
    No probs T0m, he will need one for the head unit that he wants for his car.

Audi A4 Single to Double Din Conversion Pioneer Avic F930BT - YouTube

3rd Gear

Status
    Surprised the panasonic unit doesn't fit the gap, or come with the correct fascia for Audi fitment, most aftermarket suppliers tend to design stuff for specific cars nowadays....

Suppose it is the downside of not going OEM.....

1st Gear

Status
    I am too, but he's after the Pioneer

Speeding in reverse gear

Status
    I know the pain of having to install a 2din HU into a car that wasn't 100% made for it. At least in my case, my old 8L S3 had the 2din cage, but no off-the-shelf facias or fitting brakets were available for it. It was an experience I would not want to go through again.

Your install is looking to be quite expensive and the money you spend on it now will be lost when you sell the car (I doubt you'll want to go through the trouble of removing this kit, unless you just take the HU out and put a cheap 2din unit in it's place)... At this point just the HU, parts and labour are looking to cost you almost a grand and that's even before you turn your attention to the speakers and the sub.

I would recommend that you look at other 1din options out there for nav HUs with motorised screens - you can get a decent one for 500 quid and while not as pretty as a 2din unit, their feature-set is as good as the 2dins (touch screens, nav, bt connectivity, etc)

Just an idea.