Aftermarket System switch off with Engine/Key Out

jay786

Reaction score
Installed an aftermarket system but it stays on after engine is off and key is out.
I want it to switch on with engine and switch off too .. how do i do?

Thank You

You talking stereo?

You need to take a feed from under the steering wheel to a relay which will power the stereo

Yup im talking bout a stereo and what you just said made me shiver .. a feed from steering wheel ..??
Can you elaborate please
THanks

All audio units have what is known as a switched live, your aftermarket unit should have 2 power feeds to it, one permanent so the unit keeps all it's radio codes etc (normally a yellow wire), the other a switched live which powers up the unit when the ignition is turned on/turns it off when you take the key out.

Did you fit it yourself, if so the instructions should have made this quite clear, if it was installed by someone else, take it back and tell them to sort it.....

I fitted it myself .. no instructions coz second hand unit.
I got 2 yellow feeds but one is not in use and a red feed .. guessing its ignition

There should be a wiring diagram on the back of the unit if not do an internet search to see which connection goes where......

theres no wiring diagram ...

yellow cable is battery right?
and red/pink is ignition ..??

Wouldn't know...... someone on the internet or the manufacturer themselves should be able to give you a wiring diagram....

Make and model number of head unit would help.

This would enable use to help find the ignition live lead rather than just connecting up any loose lead you find, thus damaging your new head unit.

i shall take a pic today and post it tonight ... please keep an eye for it slappy
Thanks

This is the diagram on top of the system ...

IMG_20120226_233951.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

http://s17.postimage.org/x3zlebhe7/IMG_20120226_233951.jpg

Yellow is battery/permament live/+12v/continuous/memory whatever you like to call it

Red is ignition and/or switched live, this wire needs to be connected to your fusebox as it's needed to switch your system on and off

Black is your ground or earth

Hope this helps

Tony

I know on VW's you just need to swap the red and yellow wires around, I.e plug the red into the yellow and the yellow into the red, this will help the radio keep the programmed stations .
Can anyone else confirm this please.?
I don't want him blowing up his car cause u said to swap some wires around.

No on all Audi's 2000+ do not have a switched live at the HU, they use the CANBUS (data line) to tell the stock HU when the ignition is on, so you have to wire in a feed if you want this feature or buy a CANBUS emulator, however there is no guarantee this will give you the proper keys out switch off as it varies from car to car and it's an expensive gamble at £60 a pop.

Yellow is battery/permament live/+12v/continuous/memory whatever you like to call it

Red is ignition and/or switched live, this wire needs to be connected to your fusebox as it's needed to switch your system on and off

Black is your ground or earth

Hope this helps

Tony

Red wire needs to be connected where in the fusebox?

THanks

Red wire needs to be connected where in the fusebox?

THanks

Get a multimeter and check the wires behind the fusebox for a switched live, the multimeter should display a voltage of approx 12v when the ignition is on and 0v when it's off.

Fitted a head unit,sub and amp on an a3 on the weekend.

The ignition live wire is a black and yellow wire. But do check as mentioned before to make sure you have the correct one.
I also fitted a fuse inline with this wire when I tapped in to the wire in the fusebox to make sure its safe.

I used a canbus emulator on mine. as it not only gives you the switched 12v but also outputs for the dimming, brake and mute etc.