Stainless Steel Exhaust.....Andbody done it to a TDI??????

holmefield

Reaction score
Im thinking about adding a s/s exhaust to my tdi sport, i know i'll have to get a new rear valence with the twin cut out, but im just after advice really. So heres a few question, please feel free to ignore them or respond as and wear you know the answer.

A. what make have you had experience with ?

B. what do they sound like on a TDI, are they like a petrol or do they just sound the same as standard diesel?

C. do they improve performance? mines currently remapped.

D. can you take the CAT out, or do you have to leave it in for the mot emissions?

Thanks for any answers....

D. They don't check emissions on a tdi its a smoke test you can remove it with no problems on that part

D. They don't check emissions on a tdi its a smoke test you can remove it with no problems on that part

Cool, well thats one bit answered.If the cats taken out surely thats got to help with performance, isn't it something like less interference with the exhaust gases aids back pressure?? + without the CAT wouldn't that mean that the exhaust would sound a bit better, im not after boom boom loud just a bit of grunt and a bit more throaty!!! if that makes sense...

de-cat will give you some extra BHP
sound is realy no diffrent
i use 2 places up in sheffield that could make and fit for you

A decat helps with faster turbo spool up and lower turbo temperature

de-cat will give you some extra BHP
sound is realy no diffrent
i use 2 places up in sheffield that could make and fit for you

Sounds good to me, cheers bez101 whats the name of the place + what sort of prices do they charge ?

hummm straight through would prob be to loud for a family car, i wouldn't want it to drone on the motorway i've had that before and after awhile your ears hurt !!! prob somewhere between standard and loud ha ha,

im am 38 after all, surpose i have to grow up sometime, the extra BHP sounds promising thou i must have got used to my remap now as it just doesn't feel that quick anymore + im averaging 35MPG so i mite as well try and get some extra BHP since i've already got crap MPG.

it doesnt droon, just sounds normal, when flooring it sounds like a petrol car, no drooning what so ever, when i did it around 6-7 year ago the thread and info was from america and was titled mufflerectomy honestly hard to explain, sounds imense not silly or loud

i cant price for them all depends on what you go for
but mention me and u will get a decent discount
hayleys at halfway sheffield are gona be your best bet as its a diesel they dont 2 for me and his own and hes got it just right with no drone etc
ask for chris

[h=1]Halfway Branch[/h][h=3]Hawleys Halfway, Motec House, Holbrook Industrial Estate. Mosborough, Sheffield, S20 3FE[/h]Tel. 0800 195 2633 or 0114 247 2098

i cant price for them all depends on what you go for
but mention me and u will get a decent discount
hayleys at halfway sheffield are gona be your best bet as its a diesel they dont 2 for me and his own and hes got it just right with no drone etc
ask for chris

Halfway Branch

Hawleys Halfway, Motec House, Holbrook Industrial Estate. Mosborough, Sheffield, S20 3FE

Tel. 0800 195 2633 or 0114 247 2098

Cheers bez101 i'll give them a ring tomorrow should i ask for a straight through one, or no cat and 1 box? did you have a side exhaust fitted or have you got a twin rear cut out?

The sound you mentioned sounds like what im after, not over the top but enough to know you got something fitted when you put your foot down.

Im going to have a look on youtube....for sounds.....

Ive got a straight through exhaust on 8p 2.0 tdi 140

Just one big straight pipe? NO cat NO silencers! just a straight pipe from the turbo backwards!

Sounds amazing! Especially at the higher end of the rev range, well worth it, however as for power differences very very slight hardly noticeable, but once couple with a remap it should be bring out the benefit

I had my exhust done from a custom place called John Ashley exhausts, which is local to me, charged me around £350 so cheaper than a Miltek and better in my opinion. Il see if i can upload a video to youtube and copy the link

Cheers bez101 i'll give them a ring tomorrow should i ask for a straight through one, or no cat and 1 box? did you have a side exhaust fitted or have you got a twin rear cut out?

The sound you mentioned sounds like what im after, not over the top but enough to know you got something fitted when you put your foot down.

Im going to have a look on youtube....for sounds.....

have a chat with chris and tell him what you want
he will make it to how u want u can also hear his passat hes got a family so got it nice sound not to loud
but he can get it to where u want

its not letting me see your video it says its privet ;-(

Same with me i've even just made myself a member of youtube and it still says i can't listen to it, i've listened to some others on there and they dont really sound much if any different to mine, maybe just some turbo noise and full load, Is there no grunt because its a diesel?

Im gonna mess about with the settings, iz sounds completely different in a good way lol

Try clicking the link now

Cheers, like some have said the TDIs seem to sound a little wierd when you add a s/s exhaust, what i seem to hear most is the turbo whistle. Im wondering if its a good mod to do, i'd like a little grunt from the exhaust without doubt but im not sure if i could live with that constant turbo whistle, i also found on youtube dump/blow off valves for TDIs that had been fitted and tested, i was expecting them to sound quiet CHAVY to be fair but in all honesty they sounded ok.

Can these be added as i thought the ones that you can hear from outside the car whilst its driving were for petrol modes only???

These can be added but not a popular mod as an exhaust gives a similiar effect.

have a chat with chris and tell him what you want
he will make it to how u want u can also hear his passat hes got a family so got it nice sound not to loud
but he can get it to where u want

Cheers i spoke to Chris this morning he gave me a price + advised what sort of system to go for.

Just an update if anybodys interested, i've been quoted for a full s/s exhaust from the down pipe with no cat in other words deleting the cat and just using a middle and back box £300.00 near as damn it fitted, that price is an average from a few places.

From what i've been told they can to a point tailor the sound to how you what it, your never going to get the same sound as you do from a petrol but im told that under load they can sound good.I think £300 for a full bespoke to your car s/s exhaust is pretty good and that includes fitting.

I was also told that because mines been remapped it should help give the car a little more go......Im getting very tempted to get this done now, i made the mistake of going on youtube and ended up listening to the 3.0 tdi A4 B7 models that have had the exhaust changed and they sound amazing, i dont think a 1.9 TDI is ever going to sound as good but for the price i believe its a worthwhile edition.

Even more so since i've just been looking @ the price of 3.0 TDI B7s ouch......................Bez101 and yaseen1991 made my mind up to get one made up..........So after that long update....

do you all think £300.00 fitted is a decent price????????????

300 seems a fair price
who have you ended up going with

nice 1 let me know if and when you go up
ill pop in and make sure they make the tea etc

300 is v.good price, i paid around 330ish cnt remember xact, BUT do remember to get your old CAT back as i weighed mine in and got back £40

U no wat they say, Every little helps lol

A3's and A4's have diffrent sound mate, iv taken back box of my car and it sounds good (2.0tdi) my mate also taken his of on his 53 plate A4 (1.9 tdi) his sounds like a transit compared to mine.

A3's and A4's have diffrent sound mate, iv taken back box of my car and it sounds good (2.0tdi) my mate also taken his of on his 53 plate A4 (1.9 tdi) his sounds like a transit compared to mine.

Interesting mayde its due to them been different engines sizes???? if you've taken the back box off doesnt that mean its just straight out the engine without any silencers.......

It will sound alot better due to urs being remapped, the turbo sound will be more noticeable, as when they map the car boost is turned up 20%, so it will sound different and give you more of a power advantage

got a stainless system on mine, down pipe back, sounds a little bit throtier but i do have all the boxes in still

Have you kept the cat in? also is the cat under the car by the front seats or are they up behind the engine @ the back of the engine bay, the exhaust maker has asked me, i think im going to go for one back box with twin tail pipes as i dont fancy having to buy a rear lower twin cut out valence.

Put on 1 silensor and c if u like the sound, if not get them to remove it, thats the whole point of a bespoke systsm

When i had mine done i initially had 1 silensor in place and tried it and then got them to remove it as i wanted more of a screaming sound

Try with 1 silensor if not get it removed

I had a quote of 90 quid to remove the cat, and they keep it, any thoughts if thats any good?

Theres some decats on ebay that can be had for about just under 70 quuid delivered but im not sure what its like to fit.

Its not so bad to fit if ur handy, the pipe will be straight on, just a matter of cutting out old 1 and welding on new pipe, obv check to see theres no leaks when you weld new piece on, its all about having time and equipment to do so, if u do tackle it yourself, then ul get around £40 back for your old 1, making the de cat oweing u £30

for all the messing around 90 is good and they keep the cat
i sold 3 today and got 30 each for them the price on cats had dropped quite a bit

Im def going to get rid of the cat as im guessing the exhaust will sound better without it in, but i recon i'll have @ least a back box fitted and probably a middle box to keep the noise from been to much as the wife would kick my ***.

I'll prob keep hold of the cat incase i have to put it back in @ an mot if the rules change..