Faulty servo going down hill ???

666markyboy

Reaction score
On my sons A4 1.9TDi 2002 when going down inclines the servo seems to become intermitant with the pedal sudenly becoming very hard and not working ... he also reports the pedal going all the way to the floor though i was unable to get it to do this ... i've checked the fluid level which seems fine .... i'm wondering if there's a vacume hose that could have split thats getting pulled open when the engine learches forward..... anyone had a similar experience or know what it might be ??? it's obviously a dangerous situation to be in

Bump..... comon guys i really need some feedback on this as i'm not happy with him driving it... master cylinder seems fine as there's no creep when holding the pedal pressed hard .... and they work fine other than when braking whilst going down a steep hill

Brilliant , thanks for that , i have something to start looking at now ... sounding like the water issue to me then with maybe the water sloshing forward moreso on a hill and then being dragged into the servo... i had heard about this water problem but didn't realise it could effect the brakes ... thought it just made your carpets wet... i shall also check my avant now then though i've had no problems so far touch wood

I have had the same situation on mine 1.9 tdi 2002, but it only appeared when cold and also when i was driving downhill, stiff pedal. What happened is that my drain holes were blocked and the water got trapped. There was a lot of water and it entered the servo which then froze. I had to get the servo out and get rid of water which cured the problem.. indeed it's very dangerous. I've almost went through a roundabout

Right i've told my lad to check for water around the battery area as i'm un able to look at it till weds as i'm workin shifts and he reports that yes he can see water down there ... do too deep but deffo some water... where is the bung that gets blocked ? is it directly under the battery ?? do you think i could suck any water out of the servo with a sryinge and some flexible pipe... i really wanna avoid pulling the servo out if i can help it ... in the mean time i've told him to shove some old towels down there to try and soak up some of the water thanks for thwe help guys

take the battery out and directly under the servo there is drain hole, poke it with screw driver and the water will run down, unfortunately I had to take mine out.