Chipping

howatsi

Reaction score
All,
I am considering "chipping" my 1.9TDI Sport Quattro to improve the overtaking times (30 to 70 & 50-70) do not need to massively improve the top end (I can lose my licence at 100 just as easily as at 140!)because the mid range grunt which I had on my Passat TDI Sport and pop's Golf 2.0TDI is just not there,I know most of this is down to the extra weight of the quattro sysytem.
I am looking at systems which modify the ECU via the OBD port, no replacement chips, exhaust, filters, so everything looks standard.
Anyway does anybody have any real experience of this, concerns are warranty, insurance also increased stress on components, e.g. brakes are the same as the ones fitted to 2.5 TDI? the gearbox, does anybody know the torque capacity of the 6 speed gearbox, Superchips quote 330lb/ft, also can the clutch (never had a clutch replaced last 2 cars passat 90k miles ,vectra 120+k miles)and drive shafts cope.
Also how undectable are they from the dealers, will they notice anything when the plug the car into the computer or just when the road test.
Comments and experiences appreciated. Cheers George.
p.s. Or is just a waste of time and money and next time just swap it for a 3.0 TDI!!!

The AMD and Oettinger are re-maps of the ECU, not plug-in.

Here are a few links to their sites, also i think the Oettinger has an overall warranty. But better contact RSD to clarify.

AMD

RSD

Oettinger

I think the remap could show up on their diagnostic computer, but AMD do a one -click thingy which can switch between remap and normal.

But i'm sure some of the other guys will advise you better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

ive had the superchip done, and woo hoo it was good for the day i had it, getting full remap on 16Th may and they can wipe and replace for warrenty, any anyparts you damage under warrenty, whihc the dealer will not replace becasue off the chip superchips will!

Sorry I meant reprogramming the standard chip using a connection via the OBD port, I've seen a picture of Superchips doing this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Mine was an AMD remap of the standard chip, rather than a plug-in - despite the figures not being as high as Id expected, it certainly feels like much more than the 25% gain the paper says, and its a wildly different car to drive..much more pull, much more responsive, much more fun, and very very smooth, right across the range.. Service from AMD was spot on too.

According to the rolling road, I now have 163.7Bhp, and 256.1lb/ft, from a 2004 1.9tdi.. According to my stopwatch, its taken almost exactly 2 seconds off the 0-60, but thats only a stopwatch measurement!

Whatever, it was well worth doing!

Personally wouldn't touch Superchips with a barge pole after a few bad experiences.

You are much better off paying the extra money for a custom remap, unless its going on a company car.

I would leave Superchips for Fords & Vauxhalls.

Just my opinion though!

If warranty is a concern maybe you could ask your local Audi dealer about the Abt remap, no need to worry abou the dealer detecting it then either.

Hookie - I don't know what you've been led to believe but the fact is that NO mods or chips can be done without affecting your warranty.

(Above comment is relevative to the UK and may not necessarily be true in other countries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Completely agree with ScoTTy - though I went to the length of going through an (extremely helpful) Audi dealer to get my AMD remap done, jsut so I have an official Audi receipt for the job.. may not prove to be worth much in the event of a problem, but I felt it couldnt hurt!

It IS a change to the original, it IS a mod, and it HAS to put more strain on original components.. so a failure of any of those components needs a careful analysis to determine the degree that that extra strain played a part..

Unlike some I also told the insurance company, on the same basis! I carry my kids in this car, I need it to be fully insured!

Just so I understand...why do you think doing it thru a dealer changes anything?
The only thing that may change is they may be more willing to turn a blind eye to some things. If push comes to shove or you take it else where then you're in the same boat as anyone else.

Unless of course they put something in writing or you took out a separate warranty policy?

scoTTY is absolutely right. You are totally relying on the dealer to turn a blind eye to anything relating to a problem as a result of a remap.

I had an interesting situation when I bought a Leon Cupra R. Some dealers were offering the AMD remap as part of the sale package. I spoke to Seat UK and was told it wouldn't cause warranty problems, but they would not put that in writing. I wonder why!

Like the rest of us in the same boat you need to get on well with your dealer, or hope the reliability takes over.

naah i understand that but the situation can be reversed..

if a dealer doesn't put it in writing or verbally that it can effect warrenty etc then you are in a right to kick up a fuss as they have in effect supplied a product (although 3rd party product) still a middle man

EG an insurance broker who supplies insurance through an insurance company..

if this is the case that they have not verbally told u or put it in writing then you have a legal right to take action through the courts..

but forget about that for a second..

but amd offer their own cover and also milltek so somewhere down the line you are able to get it sorted.

but i understand where u guys are coming from.

George

you might want to consider a Dragon tuning box. just fitted one to my 2.5tdi. it gives about 30bhp/50nm increase, marginally better mpg and can be self fitted(and removed if required) in 5 minutes. all for about £250, half the price of a remap and of course can be sold on or moved to another car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I used a similar product (tuning box) on a VW Bora and it was excellent in terms of performance - but I would be concerned on my own car. The Bora was a company car.