convertible top wont open

1.50%mk3

Reaction score
Baught the car at an auction to bring it home and findout the top wont open or do anything for that matter. Ive sen numerous post related to the issue but i have no clue where to begin. The indicator on the dash is illuminated saying the top is open or unlocked and the top switch in the center console doesnt light up or seem to do anything. I am a mechanic so i do have knowledge on being able to perform the repair if possible but i have no clue wuere to begin or possibly even how to access the switches or mechanisms for the top and covers that move when the top opens & closes. sorry to ramble but im hoping someone can give me advice or a direction to start in...also maybe how to access the switches or selonoids. Thanks in advance

Its probably the micro switch on the top lid, the metal one that should open. First thing to try is the manual roof open and close reset procedure. It's all in the owner book, the big key is inside the fuse box.

I found the key and managed to manually lock and unlock the top but when i manually fold the top back it stops bc it binds up oj the cover by the trunk that is supposed to open for it to fold into but being as nothing is working electronically it doesnt open when i fold it back...when i lock and unlock manually can i also open that cover manually? I dont have an owners manual on hand right now but im working on aquiring one asap

Are you sure the boot liner for the roof isn't in the up position? Simple mistake to make. In the boot there is a long handle below the inside lid. You move it from left to right and right to left and it lowers and raises the liner the roof sits in allowing you to fit more in the bout, but with it up the roof won't open. Also inside the centre arm rest on back seat at the top is a hole for you to put the roof tool into to unlock the rear roof cover. Sometimes you have to do a full open and close manually to reset the roof. Bet it's one of those, I put money on the liner being up.

Seriously dude please read the manual before you start damaging your roof ! The rear lid should open autimatically once the roof opens above the windscreen and the rear roof and rear window lists out of the way. There is a very precise order of events for the foor to work ...

This video explains how to do the roof reset - How to Manually Operate 2005 B6 Audi S4 Convertible Top - YouTube

Are you sure the boot liner for the roof isn't in the up position? Simple mistake to make. In the boot there is a long handle below the inside lid. You move it from left to right and right to left and it lowers and raises the liner the roof sits in allowing you to fit more in the bout, but with it up the roof won't open. Also inside the centre arm rest on back seat at the top is a hole for you to put the roof tool into to unlock the rear roof cover. Sometimes you have to do a full open and close manually to reset the roof. Bet it's one of those, I put money on the liner being up.

If the roof top box is in the up position it says so on the dash display. I stripped mine out last summer after one of my cables snapped lol.....

Seriously dude please read the manual before you start damaging your roof ! The rear lid should open autimatically once the roof opens above the windscreen and the rear roof and rear window lists out of the way. There is a very precise order of events for the foor to work ...

This video explains how to do the roof reset - How to Manually Operate 2005 B6 Audi S4 Convertible Top - YouTube

I def didnt want to do too much without a manual and cause damage thats not necessary but that video breaks it down as much as the can be i imagine so saturday when i work on the car again ill check the liner inside and then try the procedure in the video and see what happens...thanks to all the responses and advice and ill post the outcome when i get home from work saturday which i hope will be a post saying problem solved.

If the roof top box is in the up position it says so on the dash display. I stripped mine out last summer after one of my cables snapped lol.....

If i remember correctly the light is on in the dash for the liner being up...this whole convertible top thing is new to me even after being a mechanic for over 10 years but im sure it will be knowledge that im very thankful to be learning being as its such a common issue and if i can save people the money with not having to go back to audi for the repair it will be very beneficial at my job.

Well tomorrow will be the first chance ive gotten in over s week to get my hands On the car so hopefully by opening and closing the top manually it will reset the system and hopefully the top will work properly again...ill post an update tomorrow with what ends up happening and i really hope it fixes it but if not hopefully the info i find and post sfter working On the car will make it easier for someone On here to offer advice. Thanks again for any and all help.

Ok finally got my hands on the car after getting it back from the body shop...took your guys advice and performed a manual opening and closing of the top. After the process i crossed my fingers but to no avail. The top still wont open and either will the windows and trunk with the trunk button on the door. Im assuming the windows have something to do with the top but the fuses on the driver side of dash are all good and without a manual i dont know if and where another fuse block would be with more fuses and relays would be. So any info on fuse locations and a direction to go with the top repair would be greatly appreciated...thanks again to all of you who take your time to reply and help out.

If the dash display is displaying anything when you pull the console switch can you post exactly what the message says. If nothin appears then I think the best option is to buy a cable and plug a laptop to the car and get the fault codes.

If the boot storage box is in the wrong position then the roof wont try try and move, neither will the windows. Check the position of the lever in the boot to make sure the storage area is lowered to allow the roof to fold into it.

Last edited:
Well thanks to everyone for all the help and advice but time was tight and so was money so i cleaned the car up and sent it to auction without the top working...it pulled a decent number with the top not operating so i can only imagine what it would of done if it was. Thanks again

Have you tried removing the lid where the light switch & is? Under there is a motor that operates the front latch. Try removing the motor and see if the small metal piece is turning the latch to open and close the top

Well Darn!! I was hoping to find out you solved this problem. I am looking at a 2007 3.2L A4 at a local used dealer with these same symptoms. Not sure if I should pull the plug on it and try to diagnose and fix the problem.