Can of worms... Buy new economy or part worn premium?

V8Guzzler

Reaction score
Sorry to open a thread about this but I am in two minds...

Money is tight at the minute, and I cant afford to shell out £600-£800 on a set of boots...

So, I am looking at some brand new economy - Fullrun / Sunew / Westalke or some part worn premiums, Bridgestone / Conti / Goodyear.. with 4 to 5mm left...

I do alot of miles, mostly motorway and am really stuck as what to do - your thoughts?

If you can get a set of wellpriced, good quality part worns I would do that. Maybe £10 a corner to fit them, but they should last a year plus so not worth dicing with budgets is my personal feeling.

Budget tyres on a 4.2 litre V8?

I'd pity anyone in front of you if you have to pull up in a hurry with those on.

No offence but if money is too tight to put a decent set of tyres on a car with that level of performance then would a car with lower running costs be the best way forward?

as above i bought a gti with sunew on
they were changed the same day

Go for something mid range (ish), I.e. Falken FK452.

Literally everyone and their nan runs them, including myself, and I've never heard anything bad.

I'd pity anyone in front of you if you have to pull up in a hurry with those on.
No offence but if money is too tight to put a decent set of tyres on a car with that level of performance then would a car with lower running costs be the best way forward?

Its only because, I have just had MOT / TAX, new front discs / pads, suspension arms - not usually an issue, just sometimes things seem to come along all at once...

Currently running Hankooks, and to be fair they are a good tyre, seen me good for 15k miles and are grippy even in the wet. Mind - that said I do not go hooning it around like a little boy racer!!

:racer:

i will be ditching the rubber on my motor soon-ish, i still have the tyres that came with my R8 REPS on it at the mo,
there endura? or some micky mouse name like that,
got to be fair though, in the dry its fine , But as soon as the weather gets a little bit dampish, the tyres just dont grip,
i will be going for somthing with a name i have seen somwhere and not just cheepo ones,
falken are good, i had them on an old a4 (b5) years ago and they did the job

Not an add or anything, but give black circles a go

I think alot of us have the same dilemma every year or so, I know I do and am currently having, I am currently having my 18's refurbished and have decided on a set of FK 452's as i have heard so many good reports on them, I was all set to put conti sport contact 2 or 3's on but at literally half the price I am going to give the Falkens a go

If economy tyres are that bad - why are they allowed? Plus surely driving style must come into it? If you take your time and drive within the laws of the country and don't push your car to the limits - why would a economy tyre be any less safe than a premium? I just think rip off, and / or tyre snobbery ... but thats the cynic in me talking...

This sort of non-helpful post really gets on my t*ts! Of course he should sell his car, get a pushbike maybe....

While I agree a lot of budget tyres are dangerous and shouldnt be allowed for sale, just because you have a nice car doesnt mean you should pay twice the price for a tyre with a trendy name on the side that may not neccessarily be any better. and just because you drive an S4 doesnt mean you will drive on the raggedy edge all the time.....

I am in a similar boat (two not four tyres) I have had Falkens (6th largest tyre manufacture in the world btw) on a couple of cars and they are a good tyre. Only my opinion but I prefered them to the bridgestones and michelins they replaced (quiter than bridgestones and better grip than michelins, with decent wear).

I am going to try the vredestein ultrac sessanta's. they have great reviews everywhere.. and my friendly tyre bod rates them (along with Falkens)

+ for black circles (or tesco tyres if you need the points) btw

If economy tyres are that bad - why are they allowed? Plus surely driving style must come into it? If you take your time and drive within the laws of the country and don't push your car to the limits - why would a economy tyre be any less safe than a premium? I just think rip off, and / or tyre snobbery ... but thats the cynic in me talking...

One of the motoring/consumer programmes recently raised the same question. No doubt there is an element of snobbery in the branded names but the conclusion seemed to be that the premium brands invest significantly in R&D to develop tread patterns etc that improve the performance of their tyres compared with cheaper rivals. They then did some tests (same car, different tyres, wet surface etc) to compare stopping differences and control. I can't remember the numbers but the results were significantly shorter stopping distances with the more expensive tyres, particularly in the wet.

Whether or not cheap tyres should be banned is another matter but I personally think it's worth investing in the rubber that's your sole contact with the road. You mention doing alot of motorway driving and, even if you keep to the limit, a heavy car like yours (4.2 litre engine) is going to need some serious stopping power at 70 mph and surely tyres that improve your chances are a worthwhile investment?

I often find you just cant beat Camskill for tyres.

Another + for the Falkens. Had several set now, and they are a decent tyre. But the Vreds are also good, they were the last tyre I actually bought. Considering Avons too. Also a good tyre (ZZ3's?)

This sort of non-helpful post really gets on my t*ts! Of course he should sell his car, get a pushbike maybe....

While I agree a lot of budget tyres are dangerous and shouldnt be allowed for sale, just because you have a nice car doesnt mean you should pay twice the price for a tyre with a trendy name on the side that may not neccessarily be any better. and just because you drive an S4 doesnt mean you will drive on the raggedy edge all the time.....

I am in a similar boat (two not four tyres) I have had Falkens (6th largest tyre manufacture in the world btw) on a couple of cars and they are a good tyre. Only my opinion but I prefered them to the bridgestones and michelins they replaced (quiter than bridgestones and better grip than michelins, with decent wear).
Yes, of course owning an S4 doesn't automatically mean that you use that performance all the time. But the fact that you buy that kind of car, with all the additional fuel/insurance/running costs, surely means that you will, maybe only occasionally, make use of it (otherwise there would be no point in having it).

The point I was making is that if you intend to use that performance, at any time, then surely budget tyres have no place on a car like that. Personally I wouldn't put budget tyres on any car.

No they don't have to be Michelins or other high end brands but the general consensus of the other posters was that the budget makes suggested in the original post were best avoided, but some of the mid-range tyres would do the job.

Yes my tongue in cheek comment about running a cheaper car was perhaps a bit flippant but if you bought the biggest house in the street you probably won't get much sympathy from your neighbours if you then didn't have the money to pay for the heating bills!! (Tongue very firmly in cheek I hasten to add!)

Go with part worn decent branded tyres mate...

Monty's wheels & tyres in Reading do part worn tyres with 5mm tread plus, all good brands. I'd go with those, and if not Falkens. If you go budget tyre they are the one!

And yet another vote for Falken 452. They are reasonably priced, and a good tyre.

Friend of mine had a set of the Falkens on his BMW330, (rear) he got 6k miles out of them, although he did say they gripped well!! He paid £250 for a pair...

I have also heard that, a cheaper tyre tends to use a harder compound and that they take slightly longer to warm up, than premium counterparts. Even some of the cheaper brands are using similar tread patterns to premiums. Surely this is like a supermarket own brand baked beans, just like Heinz, just without all the marketing and advertising to pay for?

I have found some Westlakes on offer £108 each, that is a mid range price right?

I feel that part worn tyres are amongst the biggest false economies out there. Say a new tyre has 8mm of tread on it, if you're buying a part-worn with 4mm remaining then you're not getting anywhere near half of the new product.
The best part of the tyre's life is definitely when it is still fresh rubber and hasn't been repeatedly cycled through different temperatures and probably a winter or possibly two.
Do they make Uniroyal Rainsport 2s in your size?

This seems a pretty good review site: Tyres by Brand | the online tyre guide

Monty's only buys part worn tyres from dealerships who change tyres on cars which have done minimal mileage hence why most have 7mm. They're not like the crap you find at part worn scrappy type centres. I'd rather have 6-7mm Mich PS2's than Falkens with a V8 under the bonnet, but horses for courses

Monty's only buys part worn tyres from dealerships who change tyres on cars which have done minimal mileage hence why most have 7mm. They're not like the crap you find at part worn scrappy type centres. I'd rather have 6-7mm Mich PS2's than Falkens with a V8 under the bonnet, but horses for courses

If they're 235/40/18s then they're listing these:
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]inner[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]middle[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]outer[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]3591[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]MICHELIN[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]PILOT CUP[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]2 [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]3 [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]3[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]£65.00[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]£60.00[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]details...[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]3590[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]MICHELIN[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]PILOT CUP[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]1 [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]3 [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]3[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]£65.00[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]£60.00[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans=serif]details...
[/FONT]

I'd rather take the bus:)

They are ****, they usually have much better tyres than that. Bro in law got Conti 3's with 6mm from there (pair) last year on 18's for £75 a corner.

try these guys m8 they always please me and if i find cheaper they always price match.... TRADE TYRES, SHENSTONE NR LICHFIELD 01543 482048

or CHASE TYRES NORTON CANES, CANNOCK 01543 278646

My views are shaped by performance motorbike tyres, although a few years ago now.
It's amazing how much difference is between a new tyre and one that is half worn when you actually have the rubber between your thumb and forefinger, ooer! The difference becomes much more noticeable than would be apparent when the tyre's on the rim.

Last edited:
I would say always go new, you don't really know what you are getting with a part worn and I would stay well away from any of the budget brands....

I know money is tight, but tyres are the only thing keeping the car in contact with the road, I would also go with the majority on here with regards to the Falken 452's or the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta...

In terms of cost try Oponeo, they have just started selling in the UK but are MASSIVE in mainland Europe, I saved £30 per tyre on my winters and didn't pay any delivery charges...

+ 1 for Falkens 452 , & Vredstein Ultra Sesanta.:icon_thumright: I have Goodyear F1's on my car at the moment, but will probably go with Vredstein when they need replacing.
I certainly won't play Russian Roulette with part worn tyres, even Premiums.
I had Fulrun 199's on a Mondeo ST TDCI last year & wouldn't recommend them.

Last edited:
Yes, of course owning an S4 doesn't automatically mean that you use that performance all the time. But the fact that you buy that kind of car, with all the additional fuel/insurance/running costs, surely means that you will, maybe only occasionally, make use of it (otherwise there would be no point in having it).

The point I was making is that if you intend to use that performance, at any time, then surely budget tyres have no place on a car like that. Personally I wouldn't put budget tyres on any car.

No they don't have to be Michelins or other high end brands but the general consensus of the other posters was that the budget makes suggested in the original post were best avoided, but some of the mid-range tyres would do the job.

Yes my tongue in cheek comment about running a cheaper car was perhaps a bit flippant but if you bought the biggest house in the street you probably won't get much sympathy from your neighbours if you then didn't have the money to pay for the heating bills!! (Tongue very firmly in cheek I hasten to add!)

well now you put it like that I actually agree with every word you say.......... :icon_thumright:

As an ex-biker (like someone else has mentioned) you choose you tyres very carefully they are one of, if not, the most important parts of the car. A big heavy and powerful car held on the road by four contact patches of rubber 7-8 inches square is a miracle of tyre design.

A lot of people here seem to rate the falkens (inc. me), only word of warning is they do take a fair few miles to wear in..

Well I knew it would get people talking... I am gonna get 2 this month and 2 next month, and it's looking like the Vreds, simply cause I prefer the tread pattern.

Well I knew it would get people talking... I am gonna get 2 this month and 2 next month, and it's looking like the Vreds, simply cause I prefer the tread pattern.

Yeah they do look cool (even though that shouldnt be important.................. but it is..)

I've used Vreds on 2 BMW's in the past & they are very good, & highly rated by a lot of people.
Falken 452's are great for the money though. They do take between 250 to 500 miles to scrub in nicely, but that's no big deal.

A bit off topic, but what kind of mileages are you guys getting out of Vredesteins?
I've always used them over the last ten or so years, albeit the non-performance ones, T-tracs, Sportracs, Hi-tracs etc. Although they were always a bit quick to wear, this was offset for me by the price.
However, after recently knocking out a couple of Hi-trac 2s in around 10k miles of driving like a vicar, coupled with them not being as cheap as they once were, I've decided to switch brand.

A bit off topic, but what kind of mileages are you guys getting out of Vredesteins?
I've always used them over the last ten or so years, albeit the non-performance ones, T-tracs, Sportracs, Hi-tracs etc. Although they were always a bit quick to wear, this was offset for me by the price.
However, after recently knocking out a couple of Hi-trac 2s in around 10k miles of driving like a vicar, coupled with them not being as cheap as they once were, I've decided to switch brand.

Ultra Sessanta's on the 2 BMW's I had them on lasted about 15k on the rear & the fronts were still on about 4/5 mm at the same mileage.

iv used part worn many times but also if you go budget there are some brand names making them ask in the shop im sure they can tell you who makes what iv just had a price for some and the budget one he sells are made by and licensed by Continental

iv used part worn many times but also if you go budget there are some brand names making them ask in the shop im sure they can tell you who makes what iv just had a price for some and the budget one he sells are made by and licensed by Continental

I think the budget Continentals are Barum tyres

i cant remember to be fair but he went through a list of them Firestone and some other makes all making budget ones just under a different name but still made to the same stranded just 1/2 the price i guess so id not rule out budget ones my self just make sure its a good one ;-)

Barum tyres are made in the Czech Republic in a joint venture with Continental, and so they clearly have some financial backing/credibility behind them. However this kind of arrangement is more about maintaining market share across the whole range of products.

VW of course own Audi, Seat & Skoda amongst others, but I don't think anyone on here would suggest that a Skoda was just as good as an Audi but for half the price. Premium brands like Audi tend to be the launch point for new technologies which in some cases eventually find their way into the cheaper brands (e.g. B7 Audi A4 forming the basis of the Seat Exeo).

The leading edge developments will always appear in brands like Audi first and I'm sure the same would go for tyre design.

On the Oponeo website recommended in an earlier post the cheapest Barum Bravuris (235/45/17) is listed at £83, with the cheapest Continental ContiSportContact3 coming in at £109. £26 a corner more for the Continental. Personally I'd go with the Continentals in this example and hope that the difference wasn't all going on higher margins and Champions League sponsorship!

Last edited:
i got a price of 60 some thing each and sure they where the ones you where talking about

ok so the tyers i was priced at 67 all in for are prestivo made for/by Yokohama