car tracking systems

saxonblue

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a tracker for the car, more so now some lo-life tryd to nick it!!!!!!!
has anyone got one and whats the best one,
i havd been told that gps.gsm ones are good , but if you can get one with gps.gsm.and vhf on it its the muts nuts?
any ideas?:racer:

i had one on my subaru but that was just for insurance purpase if im honest the tracker i had was around £400 quid fitted and £125 a year for the certificate if im honest i wont be buying one again unless it's high performance car but i wouldnt want my car back if it was stolen, after it being ragged and that.... if it goes i want it to go

never looked at it that way, hummmm i am all confused now, thanks... lol:faint:

maybe its better to go for a cheap one so your insurance go's down a little, and not to much to shell out each year for the "line rentel??

I had one on my last new car I bought which was an astra vxr. Mine was from Smartrack. It was quite a good one with key alerts. Basicly if the car was started without the seperate transponder from the car key the company would phone me to check things were ok the would also call if it was towed battery disconected. The key alerts covers key theft. And also I could log online and check where the car was at any time viewing it on a map to within 100m. It used GPS signals to acheive this. Cost me £400 for the unit inc fitting and then I paid £390 for lifetime subscription. I understand why people wouldnt want their car back after it was stolen but I view it as catching the lowlife idiots.

The thing is that most decent cars are far more likely to be stolen to order by professionals than by a lowlife idiot, and professionals know how to make ANY tracking system inactive.

So do tracking systems have any value? - probably not.

Do tracking systems actually improve the chance of getting your car back? - who knows, because the companies won't give data on how many they don't recover only how many they do, so you can't calculate their success rate.

Waste of money IMHO.

only time iv used them is when insurance tolf me to
thats was on my cosworths

i got worred after the atempted theft of my motor a few weeks ago, i was looking at a tracker(cant remember the name if it now)
but it uses gps and vhf (like radio vhfm) to track your car, gps alone isnt that good now as the gits that try to steel it can cloke a gps only tracker with nothing more then a satnav and a cheepo calculator ? (iam not one of them so dont ask me how?)
but i was thinking about the insurance side of things as well as thinking if someone did get the car, i realy would like them to get caught for it, as for what state the car would be in when i got it back,,,humm thats the biggie,
sopose i would have to get it looked at , but the fact the tossers that nicked it got nab'd would be a gooood feeling. let me tell ya:rockwoot: