1.9tdi 130, n00b owner, fuel filter query

starnon

Reaction score
Hello, I've had my 2003 A4 Avant 1.9 tdi 130 for a week so far and I'm loving it. We bought it so that the dog would stop muddying up my Eunos Roadster but I'm actually seriously falling for this car in a big way!
I've always had older cars and carried out maintenance and repair, and although this car is (for me) rather new and posh, I still hope it can mostly be maintained by DIY.

So far I've repaired the glovebox hinge (thanks to the moderator on here for the guide)
Unblocked and decoded the old RNS-D
Replaced bulbs

I have noticed today that a fluctuating buzzing noise began to emit from the rear-right of the car. Tracking it down it seemed to come from the rear amplifier area but continued even with it disconnected. After looking around on the net, it seems that it could be the fuel filter. Is this probably the main source of the issue? The only odd thing is that is was still doing it with the car turned off..

Also, the previous owner changed the cambelt, but with no receipts I'm not going to take his word for it. Are there any good guides for this job?

Cheers

edit> also, I'm doing a search for the fuel filter but I get two types, one is a more expensive £60 type and the other is a £15 type but both look totally different. Which one would I need?

ie, as in the following links:
02 03 04 05 06 Audi Fuel Filter 8E0201511G A4 Base Cabriolet: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

www.vwspares.co.uk

Last edited:
Just been out to the car and it's still making that noise even though the ignition hasn't been on for about 6 hours.. surely this can't still be the fuel pump making the noise?

if for some reason your alarm has been going off when your not around! the batterys in your alarm siren will have died! you cannot replace these batterys!! you have to buy a new siren! v expensive! i had this problem on an a3 the rear wiper motor had started leaking onto the boot lock causing it to short out and open the boot of its own accord thus setting the alarm off! buy the time i had sussed it the siren was goosed! so i just disconected it cause to be honist who takes any notice of a car alarm going off! hope this helps!

had a quick look, I can't see the siren. I looked in the compartment where the amplifier and the sub woofer is, it seems like it's coming from the amplifier, but still does it when disconnected. It could be the alarm siren as it makes a similar fluctuating sound, but more like a low volume buzzing, but surely this would stop when the keyfob lock button is pushed? I need to sort this as not only is it irritating, but it'll flatten the battery..

Interesting point regarding the alarm battery, I guess the way to test if it still works is to sit inside the car, set the keyfob to lock and then start the car? I imagine that would set an alarm off?

siren has its own battery as if some one was to disconect the battery to steel your motor alarm would still work!

Interesting point regarding the alarm battery, I guess the way to test if it still works is to sit inside the car, set the keyfob to lock and then start the car? I imagine that would set an alarm off?

Lock the car with the remote and wait 30 secs. Then unlock the drivers door with the key in the lock and see if it goes off.

disarm the interior alarm buy the button in the drivers door pocket sit in the car with the doors locked and wait and see if the boot open symbol comes up on your dash if it does its your boot lock! i