will it do any damage

I used 15w-40 on the advise that it would stop chain rattle as its thicker... yeah it worked for a while, but using the incorrect oil can lead to all manner of issues long term - why just a week out of interest?

i bought some oil intended to do an oil change on my s4 but as it has the dreded rattle i thought it would benefit from a thinker oil but my mate that has is own garage said this was bull **** and i could ownly put castrol edge in it and when it takes 10l to fill it i thought other wise but i have it now i wanted to put it in till i can afford better oil

Would certainly work as a cheap flush oil. I would say if it's only for a week and you're not planning on thrashing it. It'd flush the car out quite nicely.

On another note 10litres in the v8?!

15w40 is a semi synthetic isn't it? I wouldn't use that personally as it needs fully synthetic and not that i know much about oil but i think that 15w would be too thick. Audi recommend 5w30, but 5w40 is what most people use to stop the chain rattle at start up. The v8's need a thin oil really.

Put the 15w40 on ebay or in the classifieds! Better to sell it at a loss than wreck the engine

Would certainly work as a cheap flush oil. I would say if it's only for a week and you're not planning on thrashing it. It'd flush the car out quite nicely.

On another note 10litres in the v8?!

A litre a cylinder is the normal guideline for most cars. The s4's have a bit more, takes just over 9L

Here's an example - we'll use 5w30. Which is actually "5 winter 30". At cold temperatures the oil won't thicken up more than straight-5 weight oil, and when hot, the oil won;t thin out more than straight-30 weight oil. 40 means its thicker at operating temp than a 30. if you use a 40 weight in an engine that calls for a 30. you can ruin your engine as the thicker oil cant get to all the places in the engine that it should. so use what the car calls for....

:beerchug:

A litre a cylinder is the normal guideline for most cars. The s4's have a bit more, takes just over 9L
Might Have to do some reading. I was told 4.5 for my v6. Best check that! I need a v8 :(

i would agree dont do it and as for the chain rattle although it seems bit of a characteristic of the engine mine used to do it a bit and then started running bad and after stripping it down we found 2 broken guides, its all done now and no longer rattles

i would agree dont do it and as for the chain rattle although it seems bit of a characteristic of the engine mine used to do it a bit and then started running bad and after stripping it down we found 2 broken guides, its all done now and no longer rattles

Glad your car is sorted now jutlis. Must be great now with all the work you have had done to it.

so far so good just very paranoid at the mo and keeping an ear out for any strange noises etc! altogether had new chains/guides/tensioners/clutch/flywheel/rocker gaskets/oil cooler/crank and temp sensors/2 injectors/8 coilpacks/spark plugs/fuel filter etc etc.......phew! some needed, some precautionary