Power Steering Fluid flush How 2

AudiLeon

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've recently posted a how 2 on here from another site tellig you how to do a power steering flush on a S4.
I found it ok, but quite difficult on my 2.5 TDI.

So he's a basic on that I did yesterday which was abit easier. Sorry there's no pictures though!

Firsly take all the fluid out of your reservoir, i found a turkey baster was perfect for this, you're able to get right down into the bottom of the reservoir with this.

Then pop out your passenger side headlight (If you've not done this before, there are 2 torx screws down the back of the headlight. Loosen these, do not remove them and 2 screws on top of the headlight. the headlight will pull away from the car now then undo the cable)

Not looking through the gap you can easily see the pipe working going up into the reservoir.
Disconnect the one nearest you. This is the feed line into the pump.

Get a 15mm piece of copper pipe and a shortish length of hose with a funnel pushed in the end. If it's all a tight fit that's fine. If it's slack use clips to tighten it all up.

Then get a very short peice fo hose with a bolt in the end to plug up the hose. Put this onto the open reservoir at the base. (this will stop all the fluid pouring out.

Now you'll need a friend to help you. Fill the pipe upto the funnel but not including the funnel. (You'll find if any bubbles come up if they come into the funnel it splats everywhere.)

Get your friend to turn the car over and turn it off straight away. you'll see all the fluid pull down the hose. Top up the hose and repeat.
Do this whilst keeping your eye on the reservoir. When it becomes full. Empty the reservoir with your turkey baster.

Continue untill you're taking abit of fresh fluid out of the reservoir.

This next bit is abit tricky. You need to get the pipe empty and the reservoir. If it's fresh fluid in there. Then just use the turkey baster to put it back in with your fresh fluid. disconnect all your extra pipe work, plug it all back together and rebuild your car.

Fill up the reservoir and follow this:
Bentley said:
Power steering system, bleeding Different bleeding procedures are required after
repairs to the steering system, depending on which components have been removed
or replaced.

After replacement of the entire steering system or steering
gear:
- Check hydraulic fluid level and top off
if necessary.
-Raise vehicle until front wheels are free.
- Start engine
briefly (max. 2 seconds)
-Pump must not draw in any air; steering wheel must
not be turned.
- Wait approx. 30 seconds each time before starting engine
again.
-Check hydraulic fluid level and top off
if necessary.
-Keep repeating this procedure until fluid level remains constant.
-With engine switched
off, turn steering wheel 10 times from lock to lock.
-Check hydraulic fluid level and top off if necessary.
-Start engine.
Turn steering wheel 10 times from lock to lock.
-Check hydraulic fluid level and top off if necessary.
-Any air
remaining in the steering system will dissipate when the vehicle has been driven
10 to 20 km.

When other steering components (except steering gear) have
been removed or replaced (e.g. pump, hoses, etc.):
- Check hydraulic fluid level and top off if necessary.
- Start engine
briefly (max. 2 seconds)
- Pump must not draw in any air; steering wheel
must not be turned.
- Wait approx. 30 seconds each time before starting
engine again.
- Check hydraulic fluid level and
top off if necessary.
- Keep repeating this procedure until fluid level remains constant.
- Start engine and
allow to run for 2 - 3 minutes; do not turn steering.
- Any air remaining in
the steering system will dissipate when the vehicle has been driven 10 to 20 km.

I hope thi helps.

Hiya, I started my car today after changing my reservoir, as it was broke, but forgot to fill it back up with oil, will I have done any damage to the car, I didn't drive any where just started it and left it running.

no m8 no damage it will just need bleeding fully to remove air once filled up